Thought I'd come back to post before y'all think I died
So that little incident I had in the prior post was just
Firing Synapses
It's like living alone in a dark quiet cave on the top of a mountain
and walking out one night into the mega-daddy of all firework celebrations
with the world's population singing and dancing
to all the different types of music playing all at once
My brain was like a kid on a sugar high
And since then it's been functioning as close to normal as it could
(unless it's tired-then it's just plain amusing)
~ ~ ~
Some time ago I spoke about my desire to do a pilgrimage in Spain
specifically to walk El Camino de Santiago
For no other reason than to try to find what others have found
To walk in lost and confused and come out strong and confident
To feel kinship with others who take the journey
a camaraderie amongst those who don't speak the same verbal language
but follow a similar yearning in their soul
To face the journey's hardships that test one's physical and mental state
Culminating at the Santiago de Compostela Cathedral
Where one bows in gratitude for the blessings along the way
before returning home to resume a normal life
So when my friend recently pointed me towards a book about El Camino
I didn't feel the same desire
It occurred to me that this past year and a half has been my pilgrimage
(I'll even name it - El Camino de Elena)
I walked in unprepared - armed only with full blown trust
It's been a rough journey but one that has proven my strength and resolve
One that showed me what truly matters and what's just plain fluff
One that introduced me to others along the way making the same journey
One that threatened to tear apart what I've known
only to weave it tighter than before
The only difference is that there is no end of the road Cathedral
I bow in gratitude as I look to the sky wherever I stand
I don't return home to resume a normal life
because life cannot be normal once touched by the pilgrimage
My eyes see with a deeper understanding
My soul, heart, mind...my physical and mental aspects have intertwined
I am not the same person I was
And it's all good
~ ~ ~
One of the most iconic symbols of El Camino de Santiago
is the scallop shell (the Pilgrim's Shell)
Shortly before my aneurysm was discovered I was given my
own Pilgrim's Shell at the start of my pilgrimage
(I wrote about it before but I'll share again)
As my son and I walked along the ocean front
I bent over as the waves receded and stuck my fingers deep into the wet sand
and retrieved this
I walked another 8'-10' feeling the waves crash around my ankles
stuck my fingers deep into the sand again and retrieved this
I stopped when I realized that the shapes were similar
that they fit
I smirked and thought 'whoa! angels...you're good'
My Pilgrim's Shell
Love cradled within Wings



Surely that is a pilgrim's shell from the Divine itself! Amazing.
ReplyDeleteOh Elena, what a journey and what wisdom. Great about the shells too!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful story and images. Hugs Karen
ReplyDelete