After the trip out West by train
My hubby and I took the motorcycles out East
Besides all the wondrous sites and sensations
The motorcycle has a way of introducing you to others with the same passion
From those stepping out of their cars at the rest areas
Who say how they've always wanted to ride
To the fellow riders who walk up to you
With beaming smile, hand outstretched, as if greeting a long lost friend
They are locals, or traveling cross country, or visiting from other countries
We talk for a moment or ride together for a few miles
But always there's a story to share
They are locals, or traveling cross country, or visiting from other countries
We talk for a moment or ride together for a few miles
But always there's a story to share
~ ~ ~
As I pulled in to a NY rest area I was surprised by a very excited "Hi!"
Turning in time to see a petite woman in white rushing towards me
She asked me several questions
We spoke for a bit and I learned that she and her daughter
were riding out to Sturgis from New Jersey
I learned that she has been riding since 1941
logging over 500,000 miles in 48 states
and was inducted into the Sturgis Hall of Fame in 2011
This wee little woman, Gloria, and her daughter, Lori, made a big impact on me
Turning in time to see a petite woman in white rushing towards me
She asked me several questions
We spoke for a bit and I learned that she and her daughter
were riding out to Sturgis from New Jersey
I learned that she has been riding since 1941
logging over 500,000 miles in 48 states
and was inducted into the Sturgis Hall of Fame in 2011
![]() |
| Me, Gloria Struck, Lori |
This wee little woman, Gloria, and her daughter, Lori, made a big impact on me
So I wanted to know more and when I arrived home I emailed her
and convinced her to answer some simple questions
She called me a couple weeks ago and here's what we discussed
~
and convinced her to answer some simple questions
She called me a couple weeks ago and here's what we discussed
~
What motivates you?
Gloria: "Time. I'm 87 years old and time is getting short. I want to do as much as I can before I die."
How do you confront your fears?
Gloria: "Fears? Oh I have fears! But I thank God everyday. I pray. I put myself in God's hands. It's the only reason I can do what I do at my age. You have to believe. (Laughs) This is how I calm my fears...Just Do It!"
Is there one word you would use to describe your life so far?
Gloria: (Laughs) "Oh well...I never knew my life would turn out like this. My brother forced me to learn to ride (I didn't want to learn) when I was 16. I was very quiet and shy. Then in 1946 I joined the Motor Maids. I ride all over the country. I don't trailer my bike. I once shoveled a pathway in 16" deep snow from my garage down the street to the main road just so I could make it to Daytona. A woman stopped to ask me what I was doing and looked at me like I was crazy! I try to be chemical-free. I take no medications and eat lots of fruits and vegetables. A doctor once told me 'medicine entertains you until nature takes over'. (Laughing loudly) Oh! One word? Life has been AMAZING. Is that good?
Any words of advice?
Gloria: LIVE YOUR DREAM! I still have dreams and goals. When I was young I dreamed of riding in Europe. At 74 I realized I hadn't so my son and I shipped our bikes to Europe and rode around the Alpine regions. In 2001 when our Towers came down my son and I were riding in France...4000 miles. You never know when you're going to die. You HAVE to live your dreams.
~ ~
I can share what we spoke about
But I cannot capture her energy and spirit
Here smiling eyes and infectious laughter; her spunkiness
Her love for life makes you want to run out and really Live
It was a privilege meeting Gloria
Happy travels and I hope to meet again on the road someday
![]() | |
| Gloria in front of David Uhl's painting of her |



Love Gloria's story. Hugs
ReplyDeleteBless your heart for introducing me to this spunky lady in this post today. She is living large, as the saying goes, and is a great role model. You go Gloria.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful spirit! You Go Gloria!
ReplyDeleteWonderful especially that each person is unique.
ReplyDeleteLove, love, LOVE your interview with Gloria! What a super lady and inspiring example she is!
ReplyDeleteLove this story, Elena. What a marvelous lady! She is "living" her life. "Medicine entertains you until nature takes over"; what an honest doctor. That is so true.
ReplyDeleteAmazing lady, and wonderful words of wisdom. Thank you for sharing, have a super lovely week :)
ReplyDeletewo Elena, you ladies kick some major butt! You are always an inspiration to me.
ReplyDelete