"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Defragmentation Required

We were at my step son's house when I met the neighbor's parents
My husband told me I knew the neighbor
I kept saying no and he kept insisting
When he recognized the start of panic on my face he backed off
He explained to the parents that I lost some short term memory
and the worst thing to do is insist I know something when I can't remember
~ ~ ~
 
When my Dad had a stroke he regressed 32 years
He didn't recognize me and I had to be careful not to use my name
In his mind I was supposed to be 4...not 36
He would look around the rooms and ask me when he was going home
I would tell him he was home and he'd become animated
explaining in detail what the home back on 18th street was like
Some days he would ask me if the orchard was covered in dew
and would he need his jacket before going out to pick the oranges

I was fascinated
Where did 32 years go?
I imagined the stroke as a power surge 
that fried the contents of the mental file cabinets
Gone. Poof. 
Every detail. Every experience. Just gone. 
Fascinating.

When I came home from the hospital I could see my son 
And while I think I knew who he was I couldn't remember his name
I kept calling him by my nephew's name

A few months later while at the Doc's office I had to sign some papers
When something seemed off
I pulled out my driver's license and realized I was using the wrong name
I was using my first marriage name
Try explaining to the office staff that 'yep I'm fine even if I don't know my name'

As time goes by I am recognizing that I have regressed 26 years
Just in small ways...nothing at all like my Dad
I realize now my brain thought my son was my nephew 
my nephew was 18 when I was 23
I was newly married at 23 
I'm remembering details from that marriage
Things like 'oh today's my anniversary' then telling myself 'no it's not!'
Funny stuff we did or dreams we had for the future
And with it the painfulness of divorce
It's all fresh again

Those things I can deal with
But as I've mentioned before
The self esteem issues from that age came back too
And not something I want to deal with again
All the zen growth went Poof. Disappeared. 
Where the hell did it go?
Is it in there somewhere rattling around?
And how? It doesn't have physical form. It is a memory. Knowledge.
Purely fascinating. 
I suppose when the Docs opened my skull it was like a power failure
and some brain cells became fragmented and misfiled
 Oooh just like a computer!
Too bad you can't run a brain defragmentation

~ ~ ~
As for the hubby and son
they have been patient
When I overdo things I go back to slurring or forgetting
And when they forget I do what my Mama told me to do
I point at my head and say 'sorry' and shrug my shoulders
 
It's all just so fascinating to me
(but there are times when not remembering is creepy)

4 comments:

  1. I am so thrilled you are writing. I bet it is very therapeutic for you in many ways. I can see your growth and healing through your posts as I watch your writing fall back in place.
    You are handling all of this so well. I would be scared shitless! Heck, I have the memory lapse at times and the only thing I have to blame is stress or I start freaking myself out that something is wrong.
    Sorry you feel you have back pedaled as far as self-esteem. Hopefully age allows for that to be worked through a lot quicker as you have nothing to worry about. You are awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and your brain are on a special journey together, a unique path that not everyone gets to experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds very eerie! However you have a great sense of perspective along with a great sense of humor which is not afraid to prod the seriousness of a situation making it a good lesson rather than a frightening hardship.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can only imagine how creepy and bizarre that must be, especially when you don't realize that you aren't remembering until someone else points it out. Luckily, those fragmented bits are limited and you still have most of your incredible self to grow and move forward with. You are alive and living and loving. Such beauty in that !
    I hope you have a sweet weekend, Lovely One ! Big hugs !

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!