"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Look in the Mirror

A woman said that it broke her heart to hear other women say
that they never look in the mirror
other than a quick glance to make sure things match

I thought how odd 
I don't look in the mirror much
except to make sure I haven't played connect the dots with my eyeliner
or some other important thing like that

Her comment lingered in my head and I wondered
why?
Why do we avoid looking into that reflection of self?

Instead of stopping everyone on the street and asking why
I figured I'd ask myself
and the answer was kinda tough

I stood in front of the mirror and made myself look
beyond the usual precursory glance
I felt myself begin to squirm and I forced myself to look
I heard my brain begin its derogatory chatter
loser, idiot, ugly, useless, blah blah blah
and I squirmed some more as I forced myself to hold steady
waste, shameful, did I say ugly
I wanted to cry but I was determined so I looked into my eyes
I ignored my brain and looked deep

I saw hatred
I got closer to the mirror and looked deeper 
I saw sadness
I got close enough that my breath created little fog patches on the mirror
I saw flashes of color, depth, pattern in my iris
that pulled my gaze deeper into the darkness of my pupil
Lost in the depths of that darkness I could no longer hear my brain chatter

There I saw strength and wonder and awe
The gateway
 
I remembered all the times I've been knocked flat 
and how I keep getting up
(although sometimes I wish I'd just lie there for a while)
I saw my family, my ancestors, my past, my future all wrapped up
I saw gratitude, love, intrigue, empathy
 
Way down deep in that darkness I caught a glimpse of my soul
A teeny weeny glimpse that made me ashamed to feel such hatred
towards the package it calls home

I pulled away and drew a heart in the little fog patch

I learned two lessons

1. Don't ask why if you don't want to know
2. I have some work ahead of me 


4 comments:

  1. How sad that we women are so often taught to be super-critical of ourselves. It's an unnecessary waste of our potential and a very cruel trick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post Elena, just proves your a beautiful being, inside and out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said. Why are we our own worst critics? How did we come to this?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!