I purposely haven't chosen words for the year
because I'm not ready for Life to sucker punch me
smirk
One thing I've been struggling to grasp lately is the concept of Death
Not my own
I'm not afraid of dying but rather living in a dependent state
where someone has to be my eyes, ears, arms, legs or even mental state
Instead what I'm struggling with is seeing beyond demise
Since surgery I look at others and see 'a downward spiral'
It was becoming difficult to see beyond it until someone reminded me
that we are all dying
It's common knowledge
Nothing had changed but my perception
Where I once saw beauty and laughter I was now seeing a fading of life
Everything was tinged with a sadness
While I was finally comfortable with the idea of not wanting friends
I wasn't ready to accept that I would one day lose my family
But I see their illnesses beginning to multiply
And I see age starting to take a toll
My sister's father in law passed away before Thanksgiving
Her brother in law is now in hospice dealing with terminal cancer
My brother just had surgery to remove prostate cancer
My doggie just had a low malignant tumor removed from her leg
And my sister is still looking for the source of her illnesses
And there are the others...
It's all around...as if my surgery opened the door and invited death in
As I shoveled the snow I thought of this
I can sit in my house and wait for Death to ring the doorbell
Or like my Mama says, keep living fully and have Death chase her down
As I thought some more I realized it's not Death I am afraid of
It's the act of losing someone I love
Of not having them physically with me
To share the laughter that leaves you gasping for breath
And being able to finish each others sentences
and yet...there's no way around it
So I could live in fear of what's to come
or just accept it and enjoy the moments we have right now
(as much as I don't want to I haven't a choice)
I LOVE my family
and while Death may be our house guest at the moment
perhaps we can shackle it to a chair and keep it still for a while
a long while
Great post Elena, reminds me to cherish each precious moment!
ReplyDeleteI pray you focus on the living, loving, juiciness of life that takes place in spite of the dying, declining, end of cycle that we are all experiencing. That balance is what makes the most of this human life.
ReplyDeleteBig love to you, Beautiful, and may 2015 be one of health, light and love for you.
Hello dear friend. Life, what a ride. Hugs Karen
ReplyDelete