"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Monday, January 16, 2012

How do you See?

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” 
~ Marcus Aurelius
 ~ ~ ~
You hear that it's a matter of perspective
Of how you choose to view your world that can make all the difference 
between elation and depression
success and perceived failure
illness and health
this and that

But is it true?

Is this the magnified view of the diseased cell
that could in fact kill me
wondering if it's true that I am bound to have all sorts of diseases
because they run in the family
surely that means I am, at this moment, dying of
cancer, epilepsy, lupus, diabetes, strokes, and all the others 
that just won't fit here
I am doomed; nothing I do matters as it is my genetic fate

Or is this truly the photo of what will be left
once the world meets its demise on 12/21/12
our particles scattered amongst the stars
surely all my worrying will make no difference
Why bother doing anything if we're doomed already

Or is this a rarely captured photo of the elusive
but nearly extinct Phylum Meduxasi jelly fish
And should I focus all my attention
on the cruelties that befall these majestic creatures
Because we all know I can't do anything personally to save them 
but I can be angry and saddened and do it well

 (Is it just me or can you already feel your mood take a dip?)


Or is it a matter of perspective
at how I am looking at this picture
Being too close; too focused
acting like blinders that keep me from seeing more

  Before reacting perhaps I take a moment to look at things from another angle
step back, close one eye, stand on one foot, stand on my head...
whatever it takes 

What will I see?
Will I see a blessing in disguise
find beauty around the bend
Will I find that I am part of a large and diverse network
of a beautifully complex and ever-changing living organism 
Life
That my fate is not pre-determined
that my power to change is as strong as I choose to let it be
that I can help myself and others if I find the proper channels

Will I find that a slow death exists in living life with the blinders on
And that Life without them is truly amazingly breathtaking
That you need the good and the bad
The rough and the smooth
The shadows and the highlights
The highs and the lows 
(Is it just me or can you already feel your mood rise and want to dance?)

~ ~ ~
“Laugh at yourself and at life. Not in the spirit of derision or whining self-pity, but as a remedy, a miracle drug, that will ease your pain, cure your depression, and help you to put in perspective that seemingly terrible defeat and worry with laughter at your predicaments, thus freeing your mind to think clearly toward the solution that is certain to come. 
Never take yourself too seriously.”
~Og Mandino
~ ~ ~

By the way, there's no such thing as the 'elusive but nearly extinct Phylum Meduxasi jelly fish'.
~
This all came to mind when I see how my sick sister keeps focused on all the family genetic illnesses. When I hear of family giving in to illness and worry because 'it's just a matter of time'.
Or think that I might 'go to hell' because my way of thinking isn't like someone else.
And when my hubs played 'expressway pinball' on a patch of black ice
bounced off guardrail then spun into concrete median
then came to rest across both lanes of traffic in time to see truck swerve around him.
As he told my Mama and I this, she was horrified and said it was the bad luck of Friday the 13th and all I could see was the amazingly good luck that he walked away with a bruise.
Something I keep reminding him of when he remembers the condition of his truck.
I'm not being naive.
I can choose to wallow in the what ifs or celebrate and live.
Right?

3 comments:

  1. I also choose to look at the bright side. People often think you are a bit daft to react to things like accidents by feeling blessed that no one was hurt. I know those faces of confusion or disgust because they prefer to see the bad side. I just feel badly for the ones that choose to see the glass half empty. Keep looking up!! :):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely pic and yeah pretty true...life is perspective :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That beginning had me worried. The ending made me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!