"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Thursday, June 5, 2014

Thinning the Flock

Why do people say I love you 
when they really mean I like you alot...
so long as you don't want anything from me
so long as you don't whine or need a shoulder 
or complain or expect me to listen to you
or you're not going to focus on me all the time

~ ~ ~
I've noticed something for a while now
Life has a way of cleansing relationships
During illness, divorce, abuse, or any other difficult time
You will find those who stick around 
and those who scatter like cockroaches when the light goes on
 Those are the funny ones because they can't seem to run fast enough
Then there are those who say let me know if you need me
in that tone that begs 'but please don't need me'

I've been in close friendships when a serious illness hits
and watch how fast friends and even family disappear
My heart breaks for the person who is ill 
because not only do they face the illness 
but also the abandonment of someone close

I wondered if this 'run-n-flee-itis' syndrome is common
So I started asking around...I started observing
When people face a crisis...friends, even family. disappear

Then I wondered about those afflicted with said 'flee' syndrome
So I asked and I was told
'it's too depressing'
'I don't know what to do for ____ so I'd rather hide'
'I don't want to be reminded of death'
'I'm too busy'
'Well I haven't called this long so I may as well not'
(bunch of chickens - I've been part of this flock once or twice)

But that's ok - well assuming the person in crisis atleast has somebody
Life has a way of shedding those who no longer have a place in our lives
It's like cleaning house...making room for something new
fertile ground

I thought of this as I heard about my cousin's 16 yr old son
After his first chemo treatment the first thing he asked was
'did anyone come to visit me'

Because we all hope to matter to someone
Someone who says I love you from their heart
and not mere words that spill from the lips
there is a difference

5 comments:

  1. Sadly all to true Elena, but as you so correctly said, it is a clearing out of those whose values are different!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stopped by again and was surprised to see the comment I left is not here, do you have it Elena? Anyway the reason I called back was to let you know that I received your cards, they are wonderful! Such a great idea and it says so much about you Elena! Thank you also for those very kind words.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you are feeling loved by some good love givers, Elena.
    Sending waves of light and love your way !

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right, emergencies and long term problems are a clearing out time. My understanding is that all someone needs to do is to visit, and there is no need to talk or offer advice but just to listen to the person. Listening is a sweet gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. always thinking of you, Elena...hugs.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!