My Mama used to tell me not to let friends get too close.
Don't let them in....figuratively.
My first father in law used to tell me friends from the threshold out.
Don't let them in...literally.
I lived by these rules
but it tends to get a bit lonely
And if I was meant to live alone I figured God would have put me on a remote planet
instead of on a fully occupied world
What I found was a whole lot of people I had no interest in knowing
Then found people who were quite interesting but much too dramatic
Too much shallowness and noise clogging up the true self
Each time I would retreat back to the rules
But feel that something was missing
Then I found those with similar interests and ways
And threw the rules out the window going to the opposite extreme
I opened myself completely
Something akin to standing naked in front of the classroom
What I discovered was the danger in doing so
Of getting caught up in subtle drama that was not my own
Of how it poisons an exposed heart
And I remembered the rules
I no longer follow any rules
I have learned that I require a balance
between the two extremes I was privileged to experience
I need friendships, but only at arm's length
That I do not have to close myself off completely
Nor let anyone in more than necessary
That I do not have to close myself off completely
Nor let anyone in more than necessary
That there is a time to weed out those who no longer serve a mutual purpose
And a time to get to know someone a bit better
That my journey is mine alone
And that people will come and go
That we will touch and be touched as we learn the lessons along the way
And enrich each others lives before moving on to share the riches


I don't completely agree with the idea that this is our journey alone. We are all connected, I believe, to one another as well as living our own life. That is why our stories have so many parallels and touch points in them. I do agree that we must love and take care of ourselves first. Imagine what the world would be like is we could all stand on our own two feet and only lean into each other to create a joyous sway through life...I know, I am a dreamer. But guess, what I am not the only one. Thank God ! ;-)
ReplyDeleteI don't know you by face, but you have let me glimspe your heart and knowing you that way, I know I am glad to be on my own journey with you on the road beside me.
Big love to you, Traveling Girl...
Perfectly said Queen. What I meant is only I am responsible for walking my path...not to anyone's rules. And the beauty is those who come to join you as the path's converge...some stay longer than others. And you are always touched in one form or another. I like your beautiful dreams...and that we sway through life side by side.
ReplyDeleteWait to go Elena! :)
ReplyDeleteI applaud your ability to find that balance, to be so steadfast in who you are taht you can savor connections but comfortably know when to let go. You've expressed yourself beautifully.
ReplyDeleteOh, and Kim...and 'create a joyous sway through life' is a perfect turn of phrase!
arm's length friendships....hmmm
ReplyDeleteI laughed when I read John's misspelling...wait to go
ha ha...wise man
glad you are back with all your sass girl
The beauty of arm's length is that with a mere flex of the elbow you can pull someone in close in a burst of love or fling them out far if too poisonous. heehee!
ReplyDeleteI try to only follow my own rules, ones that feel right to me. Glad you are exploring this Elena.
ReplyDeleteBalance is good -- clearly you're wise to make your own assessments.
ReplyDeleteLike you, I was taught not to get too close, not to trust people completely. Quite often, that was good advice. But not always, and I've probably lost out on some potentially wonderful relationships that way. I really liked your comment about the benefits of keeping people at arm's length - that a mere flex of the elbow can pull them close.
ReplyDelete:0)
I love how you're listening to your own heart more and more! We're all here to learn about ourselves and what it means to be human, and we'll all make mistakes. As long as we learn from our mistakes, it's gonna be OK, right?
xoxoxo
you probably believe that i am one of those who has gone away.....and i did. and i have, but it has nothing to do with you. it has to do with your blog. the color of it. the black background both on your blog and on your comments area, literally strains my eyes and gives me a headache. but who am i to tell anyone what to do with their blog. so i stay away. but for some reason your post title today drew me in......xoxoox
ReplyDeleteYou have enriched my life.
ReplyDelete