Some recent events have left me wondering
Pondering, thinking, scratching my nose
And finally last night I went to bed convinced
that my endless questioning & inability to settle on one thing
was a character defect
I awoke in the early morning hours
and pondered some more
that's what questioning types like me do
I've always been like this ~ seeking, searching, experimenting
My Mama encouraged me to explore anything that came to mind
in the hopes of finding my one true love
She thought (prayed) I would outgrow it and settle down
but how do I say that I have a gypsy soul
how do I explain to those that say pick one thing and finish it
that part way through I realize my soul has already moved on without me
how do I answer those that say "what's wrong with you"
when responding 'I'm following my soul' would sound so weird
How can I say I don't think I'm meant to love one thing
I love many
I'm a wanderer
I do not travel a linear path
Like a spider on a web, my travels appear aimless
When I finally got out of the bed I found this Note waiting for me
"The presumption, Elena, at all times and under all circumstances, should always be that you are good enough, worthy enough, and lovable enough. And that you are exactly the right kind of person, in the right place, at the right time. Otherwise, you wouldn't have been instilled with such dreams in the first place."
And it made me think
We're not all made the same
Perhaps I am not defected
So I'm not maternal, or a homebody, or romantic or just an artist
I'm so much more
I seek, experiment, and plant the seeds
by ignoring my spirit I would not have as many varied experiences
nor experience half the things I know await me
So meeting the bishop in the morning and signing up w/ a biker club in the afternoon
or running to catch a street musician to tell him he rocks
and five minutes later be too shy to talk to the farmer next to me
Is as perfectly normal to me
as throwing food in a crockpot is for someone else
The thing is, when I'm too old to travel my path any longer
I will have one hell of a garden to look upon
Instead of one variety or color of flower
I will have many
And in its seemingly chaotic state, it will be brilliantly beautiful
because all my seemingly random paths eventually connect to one another
like the threads in the morning spider web
And I smiled and thanked God
that I never outgrew the urge to follow my gypsy soul
And then found this quote when I opened a website
"This I believe: That the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual.”~John Steinbeck
My mommy/guru shared these words with me : "What is wrong with you is besides the point. What is right with you is the starting point." I have gone back to them over and over.
ReplyDeleteWhat is right with you ?
I love that question. Happy Skeeing, Bright and multicolored One !
And of course, there's that quotation from Lord of the Rings too: "All who wander are not lost." And you know, my name isn't Debra She Who Seeks for nothing -- I love the life/spiritual journey and search as well.
ReplyDeleteWho is Elena is maybe being anwered now, at least in part:)!
ReplyDeleteThe fact that you follow your Hummingbird soul and sip from each flower you discover shows that you are doing exactly what you are supposed to be doing. Living the life that you deserve, deserving the life you live. Glad that you are finally coming to appreciate the beautiful soul that is Elena.
ReplyDeleteI think many of our problems come from the fact that we have been taught that one way is right and the other is wrong, that some ways are better than others. I think our paths are just all different and the way I measure my "success" or how well I travel the roads of life is by how happy I am. Am I chasing one dream after another because I am afraid to delve too deeply into one thing that could become huge? Or is it the chase itself that makes me happy? It all depends on what brings out your true self, what makes your soul shine and sing.
ReplyDeleteI used to be a person who would start every project with much enthusiasm and then never stick with it - in my case I was afraid to allow my spirit to shine as brightly as it could. I was afraid to be good at something, to stand out. That wasn't the true me. Now I start things and I finish most of them and I love that! I feel that that is me becoming more me.
All that to say that our paths are all uniquely ours and never right or wrong or better or worse. I love a sea of one type of flower as much as I love a colorful garden...
You go, girl!!! Hugs, Silke
You are a rainbow of talents, interests and passions and who doesn't love a rainbow?
ReplyDelete