~Loneliness~
I've been struggling with feelings of loneliness quite a bit lately
Perhaps because a great majority of my time is spent alone
but oddly I prefer being alone - so I can't explain why the sudden loneliness
But there are times that I feel invisible
and for a split second
begin to wonder if I am still here
That scary-intriguing thought that perhaps I died in my sleep
and don't know it
But yesterday carried a new feeling
Looking around at my current situation and telling myself
THIS is not what I am supposed to be doing at 44
I've become a house-wife, I'm like the living-dead, a zombie
(don't get me wrong, house-wife might be perfect for you...but not for me)
And horrified by this thought and feeling a wee bit (a whole lot) caged
I jumped in the car and went into town
And sat at a table next to the farmers to listen to their lively banter
And when the waitress talked to me - realized I'm not dead after all
Later at the store I literally ran into a movie display
The Way with Martin Sheen
about a pilgrimage on the Camino de Santiago
and have mentally added that trip to my growing list of places to visit
And I knew
If I expect to travel alone cross country and abroad
I need to recognize the differences between being alone and being lonely
Since The Kid still has a few years before leaving the nest
I can use this time to learn, to prepare, to grow
to save money
So that when the time comes
we can both spread our wings and fly out of the nest
~ ~ ~
I almost didn't post this because I'm not trying to solicit sympathy
I've also tried joining woman groups and find they bore me
but I was too intrigued by these feelings and decided to log them in
~ ~ ~
I almost didn't post this because I'm not trying to solicit sympathy
I've also tried joining woman groups and find they bore me
but I was too intrigued by these feelings and decided to log them in

You can imagine how much I relate to this! One thing I know for sure (and there doesn't seem to be much! teehee!)is that I don't want my whole life to be about doing laundry, grocery shopping and running errands!! You have GOT to see "The Way"!! I find myself wanting to put it on my list of of "must do's" but actually get nervous at the thought of it!! I think that's a sign....of something.....probably how much I would LOVE to do it but am afraid that I can't. Anyway, I'm planning to buy the movie....you can borrow if you want. I would LOVE to watch it with the tribe when we are together. You have already done a lot of growing, learning and preparing. And I like that you get that "timing" is a part of it....we can do most anything...we just can't always do it the moment that we want to. I feel sure that you'll get there! Maybe we will be fellow "pilgrims" on the trail!!
ReplyDeleteThanks sweet Robin. Did buy the movie yesterday since you had highly recommended it. Also thought I'd be inviting you to do that trip with me when the time comes...
DeleteDo you have time to do a bit of volunteer work? My public library has a program where people sign up to take books to homebound seniors. I signed up and the lady I visit is very dear. It really is a bright spot in my day when I visit her and I know she loves to see me and the books I bring her.
ReplyDeleteJust an idea, and my hubby and I plan to see The Way this weekend. Thanks for reminding me.
Solitude is great but sometimes too much of it brings on feelings of loneliness. How about taking an art class? That will get you out and about with other people.
ReplyDeleteUltimately we are all alone because each one of us has different desires and needs, we are individually unique, being alone is different from being lonely. In our being alone and independent we form relationships with like minded people, we are still "alone" but together? Loneliness can mean that we are uncertain as to who we are and then we sent out mixed signals making it more difficult for the law of attraction to work!
ReplyDeleteI love this post, thank for sharing. I understand just how you feel when it comes to feeling lonely but not being alone. This may sound funny but its nice to know I'm not alone in my loneliness.
ReplyDeleteI came across an amazing sister rider and would love for you to take a look at her story.
www.journeytochange.me
xoxox
debbie