I watched the neighbor load the moving truck
Sadly knowing the only other full time kid on the block is moving away
And nodded my head at the silliness of it all
In the summer he installed an above ground pool...against development regulations
He knew it...just figured once it was up they'd let it stay
He was told to take it down
Angry at the decision reached...he put his home up for sale
And the realtor made him take the pool down anyway
I could feel anger radiating from this guy as I watch him enter his home
Responding to neighbors' waves with his middle finger
I can't help but laugh
Why is he so angry at everyone else?
It's nobody's fault but his own
~ ~ ~
I'm sure you've heard these...
'I'm like this because my wife, my husband, my mom, my dad...'
'If he/she showed me more love I wouldn't have to...'
'He/she never wants to do anything so it's their fault I did...'
'That backstabbing SOB...it's all his/her/their fault...'
'They're out to get me, they're jealous of me, they always treat me like...'
'Illness runs in my family so I...'
'I could never try/do that because I did this one time and...'
'I'm sickly, I'm an addict, I'm too old, too young...
'I have no money, time, anything to wear...'
'They don't understand me, they're mean to me, they don't support me...'
'He/she cut me off so I had to...'
blah blah blah
So right about now you're probably thinking
what a bitch!
But I am 'mega-guilty' of getting caught up in the blame game
It's as if every decision to be made reaches the receptionist counter in the brain
There it's directed to the kiosk
So our little decision to be made indignantly takes its number
Proceeds to the lines
And together with all the other decisions we stand in line
griping, grumbling, feeling sorry for ourselves
patting ourselves on the back for taking-a-stand-against-the-wrong
Problem is...we're in the Department of Fear
Acting out of fear it's easier to point the finger elsewhere
because it's safer to stand clustered in the crowded lines of fear
where we can blame our inability to move forward on the reason we're standing there
or at the very least we can blame the crowded lines
Pointing the finger at someone else
is alot easier than pointing it where it belongs
At ourselves
I/ME/WE are the reason behind every decision/choice we make
It's nobody's fault
We choose to cheat, lie, run, avoid, procrastinate, blame or whatever it is
because we don't want to admit that we might be wrong
But what's the big deal?
What have we got to lose?
Taking responsibility means believing in ourselves enough to take a step forward
We won't spontaneously self-combust but
It sure beats being stuck in Fear's waiting lines
Some people won't get it
Some people would rather wait in those lines with the rose colored glasses
or with the blinders on tight
I used to worry about them
Want them to see that there's another way
But that's not my place...I can't force anyone to take responsibility
when they're not ready to do so
So I've become selfish and am only worried about myself
And being careful to avoid the game I can never win

whose fault is it? hmmm
ReplyDeleterather i would ask, Whose choice was it?
hug
Clearly your ex-neighbour thought the rules applied to everyone but him, LOL!
ReplyDeleteI was gonna comment on this yesterday but couldn't. Either my iPad was to blame, or the Universe didn't like my snarky, jokey tone at the time! (I won't even bother you with my goofy response)
ReplyDeleteIn case it was the Universe watching, I will take a more serious tone this time and say that I love the personal growth I see here. I love that you are on a path, you are embracing that path and you are recognizing all of life as having teacher qualities.
The only person we have control over is ourselves, and even that can prove to be challenging at times! I hope I end up in the right line next time I'm faced with a challenge. If not, I hope there is someone there to direct me to the correct line. Most importantly, I hope I am awake enough to pay attention and not too stubborn to take the help.
;)
Yup. I get this post. From the inside looking out, and from the outside looking in.
So very well said Elena,we can only lead by example.
ReplyDelete