"Of course in our train of thought,
we would all like to think we're on the right track,
or atleast the same railroad company as the right track."
~ Criss Jami
~ ~ ~
Thanks for the great responses to the previous post
But after writing it I sat and asked myself
"Really? Are you REALLY trying to find yourself now? NOW?"
Heck I'm still pulling glue off my head
I still have to rub my eyebrow to satisfy an itch on top of my head
Then I realized I was just deceiving myself
Because my brain isn't quite sure what's happening
it jumped to the default worry...life purpose
Poor little thing
I'm doing very well physically
I've lost 24 lbs and my blood pressure is down 24 points
which means no more blood pressure medicine
My hair is growing back and I can drive up to 30 miles one way
I look better
Which is where it gets tricky
My hubby loves me and my surgery scared him
He knows I love managing projects so he created one in the kitchen
He thought it would 'shake me out of it' - help me get better
Instead it confuses my brain
I get overwhelmed by too much noise, activity, movement
I can handle a question or two but need time to process
My hubby is all noise, activity, movement and 1000 questions (heehee)
And I look at him wide-eyed and confused
My brain bottlenecks and he doesn't get it...heck I don't get it
I point at my head and explain
I have always thought in pictures
There are no pictures...I don't know how to think otherwise
I am better in the morning but notice a difference by the afternoon
He gets impatient...I get mean
And then my head shuts down and my face swells
Let me note here that I find this extremely interesting
A thought process...something intangible
has the ability to cause a physical change like swelling - amazing
What happens then is I start to doubt myself
My brain isn't sure how to process this feeling so it thinks life purpose
When the reality is I'm just trying to get by
I start to feel sad then anger for being sad
Because really what am I being sad for?
The nurse explains it's normal...it's something akin to grief
Which falls right into that stuff I don't understand - grief for what
Confused I went to a small adoration chapel and sat in there alone
It was so peaceful and meditative and blessedly quiet
And I remembered my Dad
When he was sick he reverted back to earlier years
Back when I was 4, when the others were teens, when he still worked
My Mama would argue with him when he didn't recognize the house
or who I was or said he had just seen a cousin who was long gone
But I could see the flicker of confusion in his eyes and a touch of fear
Because in his mind these things were real
The stroke had damaged the parts tied to present times
This was his reality
So I pretended...I told him I was my eldest sister
I said I had also seen the cousin
And his eyes would relax
I decided I'm going to be as patient with myself as I was with my Dad
My brain is healing
I am lucky that I have healed this fast and this far
Others are not as lucky and I pray for them every day
Even thought I don't know why I should be sad or grieving I'll allow it
Because it must serve a purpose
As for the hubby, we've come to an understanding
If I am overwhelmed I call a time out and walk away
Retreat to the recliner and play possum
Sorry this has become like a healing diary
but it's more for me than anything
Love and peace to y'all
I am glad you are finding out how to care for yourself as you heal, and taking a timeout on the recliner sounds like a good idea. Maybe you can create a signal to give to your hubby that you are getting too much information or sensory input. Something easy like giving the V sign. Bless you.
ReplyDeleteWhat a well thought out, well written post! Looks like your brain thinks beautifully in words. You're doing awesome Elena! Sending you even more love and healing. I'll send it over on the wings of a robin! I am so very happy to see them! if you see one peeking in at you, that's the one I sent!
ReplyDelete;)
I'm glad you are being patient with yourself! And that you have made a plan for those "overwhelm" moments. You have nothing to be sorry for. There is much to learn in reading about and observing your healing and I'm glad you are willing to share.
ReplyDeleteI will continue to send my strength and healing, so much progress to be grateful for. There's much understanding in your words even without your visual clues. It looks great!
ReplyDeleteYou've got it all under control. Hugs and hugs.
ReplyDeleteGreat post Elena. It is when energy levels dip that we are at our weakest and prone to worrey, doubt etc. You are doing fantastically well and sharing your journey is a gift which is greatly appreciated.
ReplyDelete