"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

On my knees...

So far in my X number of years
(still can't remember how old I am w/out calculator-how convenient)
I have known some great men whom I admire greatly
I don't place them on a pedestal, but I do strive to have similar qualities

The truth is, I don't really like myself
I've struggled with this most of my life but
in the past several years I've learned to put up with self enough to get by
The problem is that now in Life P.A. (post aneurysm) I have lost those brain cells
I have regressed to the time when I couldn't quite look myself in the eye
At first I cringed (well I still do) but I've decided it could be worse
I could be blind, or forgotten who my family was, or have seizures
or have a million other afflictions my P.A. peers have

I've decided that I was meant to lose most of those brain cells for a reason
It was a rocky foundation
I shouldn't just put up with myself 
I should love and respect myself as the miracle of spirit in physical form

There's a saying that you can't love someone unless you love yourself
I used to think that was a bunch of malarkey since I love my family
just not self
But I realized that when I don't love myself
I can easily project my self thoughts and feelings onto another person
If I think I'm a worthless idiot I'll assume someone else thinks so too
My actions and reactions will now be based on that premise
 I never understood this until now

When I was weak I would look towards those great men
and tell myself 'Look, they wouldn't behave as such, toughen up girl!'
and I would quit the self pity or nonsense and move on
Over time I was able to see each of these great men
hit a point where they buckled and fell to their knees
over something that seemed insignificant to me
I would watch them and wonder
'why are these great men collapsing under something so trivial?'
Toughen up!

I understand now that we all have our own battlegrounds
we will go through happy times
and lots of bad times that shake us to our very core
There will be many times I just want to lie down and give up
But I have to toughen up, dig down deep, and keep getting up
If you can get through it, the bad times have a tendency to cleanse away
and in its place comes new growth and understanding

So although I still don't like self much
I no longer hate self
Through battle scars I am starting to see that I am strong
I've been knocked down many times but I still keep getting up
I'm not quite there but I'm atleast back on my knees

It's a start...

6 comments:

  1. In times of stress I remind myself of these words which I memorized years ago:-

    Desiderata
    Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.
    Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.
    If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter;
    for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

    Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
    Keep interested in your career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
    Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery.
    But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals;
    and everywhere life is full of heroism.

    Be yourself.
    Especially, do not feign affection.
    Neither be critical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.

    Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
    Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings.
    Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

    You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

    Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be,
    and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.
    With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy.

    © Max Ehrmann 1927

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the Desiderata! I remember you speaking of it and it is beautiful. Be careful and be happy. Balanced. I will print this and keep in sight. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. You should start looking at yourself through your mama's eyes, your husband's eyes, your kiddos eyes, my eyes. Then you would know how very wonderful and beautiful you are and you would easily love yourself! Looks like you are in need of a Tolle read. :)
    I always appreciate your self-awareness and how very much you are a seeker and student of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL thank you. Brain not ready for Tolle yet. And I don't choose to be a seeker or student of life. Seems I'm wired that way. But after being a brainless drone for a few months I don't know if I'd rather be any other way.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!