Last day of 2012
Resistance
Have you ever really felt resistance?
The actual feeling of it sitting on your chest
Where you try to make it go away but know the only way to is by confronting it
And as you try to look closely, determined to get the beast off your chest
You fall asleep instead?
Haha! Yeah, ever feel that?
Understanding
Have you ever noticed how it often follows a good sleep?
Suddenly knowing what's behind the resistance
But have no clue what to actually do about it
And know you have a small window in which to act
before resistance perches itself back upon your chest
What to do? What to do?
Run
Or blog about it...teehee
Cuz there's one thing resistance doesn't like
Scrutiny
Birthday Suit
Ok so I'm not actually going to show you my birthday suit
But about to share something so personal that it's like
my emotional birthday suit
(squirm squirm)
Resistance popped up it's ugly head after making some creative decisions
Resistance snuggled up close when I put together some small bags for the homeless
Resistance climbed upon my chest and took residence when I made Christmas gifts
And I've been finding it hard to (emotionally) breathe since
The homeless bags made me feel stupid (and apologetic) for making them
Working through that, would you believe I never ran into one homeless person?
The funny thing is I've been everywhere this Christmas and not one to be seen
I felt relieved thinking perhaps that meant they were snuggled warmly in a shelter
But seeing the bags in the back seat of my car unleashed some ugliness
I've always loved giving gifts
Nothing expensive...homemade or small token things just to make someone smile
In my early 20s I overheard a coworker make an ugly comment about my gift giving
And I stopped giving
I've recently started playing around with fused glass
Thought this would make a good Christmas gift for those in my family
The hours whizzed by as I created & the excitement built as I opened the kiln
to reveal pretty little pendants and sun catchers that I would gladly use
But my excitement was short lived
As it occurred to me that these were meant to be gifts
I tried talking myself out of giving them away
Tried to get my hubby to say they were too sucky to give as gifts
Finally just pinned them all down and decided to let my family choose
I couldn't breathe as I stood in front of each one as I explained...
"please pick one, I'm sorry they're sucky, this was my first solo run and I'll get better I hope and if you really hate it please tell me so I can learn and then I can buy you something better"
words all tumbling out in one heart stopping breath
I was glad when it was over as I ran off to help with the tamales
Clarity
I see it clearly now
That coworker made me feel stupid for giving gifts
My ex hubby once looked horrified when I suggested making gifts for the family
I've seen people receive homemade gifts and smirk behind the person's back
These little things all joined to taint something I once loved
They sucked the joy out of it...made me feel ashamed
but
now that I look back I can see it differently
there were smiling eyes receiving the gifts & hugs with "I can't believe you thought of me"s
the bags may have been unused over Christmas but will remain in my car just in case
I don't give because I'm self-righteous or want attention or can't afford to buy
it's something far better
I received some beautiful handmade gifts this year
And they made me smile
But one of the best gifts I received was a hug from a little boy
I've been sneaking gifts to this little guy for several years through his mom
She always tells him it's from Santa
they don't have much, expect nothing, give freely, love each other unconditionally
This year she surprised me with a handmade gift and bringing the little guy to meet me
As I gave him his gift, his smiling eyes and tight hug was worth everything in the world
that's what gift giving is about to me
a connection with someone for one moment that makes them feel loved
something that says 'I thought of YOU'
These are some of the family gifts...forgot to photograph the others
~ ~
I wrote this all out so I can refer back to it when Resistance tries climbing back on
There will always be stupid people with stupid comments
But I know now that it's my choice if I let them dim my light
There will always be stupid people with stupid comments
But I know now that it's my choice if I let them dim my light
All this also uncovered something I haven't dealt with yet
Pride
Why is it that I think it's bad to be proud of my creations?
Why do I think they suck and that nobody in their right mind would think they were any good?
Till next time
And so I close the chapter on 2012 and wish it Adieu
And so I close the chapter on 2012 and wish it Adieu
Happiest of New Year wishes to you!!!!



I would love to have received one of your pendants. The red and/or the purple make me smile and I love the colored bits of glassy goodness. If you feel like giving me one as another sweet gift from you, I will send you a little something something to celebrate our friendship too !
ReplyDeleteI encourage you to keep giving, Beautiful Heart. Whether people receive it in the way you would like them too or not. That giving with only loving as your intention is a precious thing, and something the world needs more of ! I know this for sure ! And I know that when you give without expectation, it comes back to you over and over again.
I wish you a 2013 full of loving goodness, Dear One ! Much Love !
Look at all those gorgeous gifts!
ReplyDeleteThose you have encountered who have shared less than pleasant comments? They are simply responding with their own insecurities, judgments and baggage. It is sad that they would be so unhappy as to have it overflowing onto others. Wish them well and move on. Don't walk through the overflow. You get that stuff stuck to your feet and you'll be mucking around in self-doubt for sure!
Love this post. Excellent insights!
Happy new year Elena, have a beautiful year ahead :)
ReplyDeleteWishing you an awesome 2013 that will be overflowing with gifts, both given and received!
ReplyDeleteoh Elena, I have felt resistance in my chest. That oppressing feeling that seems it will choke you. And pride, such a horrible feeling to have... I hope in 2013 to rid myself of such feelings, for a more peaceful soul.
ReplyDeleteHomemade gifts are always the best. And I try to remember that what I am really giving is the care and the time and the thought. Even if a person regifts my item, they are just passing all those good sentiments along. So it's a win-win for everyone. Don't let snippy comments get you down. It's just a reflection of that person's attitude problem, not yours :) Stevie @ ruffledfeathersandspilledmilk.com
ReplyDeleteYour glass pieces are wonderful! And yes, I have felt that resistance. BIG time. How cool that hug from the "little guy" was!! You deserved that special gift!!
ReplyDeleteA blessed, peaceful new year to you, dear Elena :)
ReplyDeleteYour gifts of art are wonderful! So beautiful, Elena. I can't imagine anyone thinking otherwise. A handmade gift is the best to me too. And I love your story about that little boy. How easy it would be for each of us to do something like that. We need to pay attention. You are a dear.
ReplyDelete