"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Learning. Always Learning.

When my nephew was little he had a gorgeous head of dark black curls
Glorious messy loops that bounced as he ran and played
We went to visit a distant relative and both sat horrified
as we watched the little curly haired grandson behave in ways 
that would have earned us an intimate meeting with the belt for several hours straight
As soon as we arrived home my nephew climbed upon the toilet seat 
to stand in front of the mirror as he brushed his curls flat
Brushing so hard he was near tears I finally had to ask what he was doing
He said he didn't want to be like the demon child we had just seen
He believed his curls made him look like the other child and thus risked being like him
He never let his curls grow out again
Even now as an adult he keeps his head shaven
 ~
It's interesting when the behavior of another makes such an impact 
that we begin to alter our own behaviors so as not to behave in a similar manner
I completed 2012 convinced that artists are nuts
which made me relieved that I wasn't an artist
and left me ready and willing to shut out all creative people
and return to the predictability of the business world 

But I decided to try another approach
because I do believe that what happens to us is trying to tell us something about us
Looking closely to see what behavior was being mirrored back
I was able to see things I was doing wrong and correct them
Having done so, it was like I had a clean slate
Suddenly new friendships started forming and existing ones started deepening
I've been finding those who are all-encompassing
People that balance their love of family, friends, business or creative endeavor
 with an open hearted unselfishness
they strive to help others rather than focus on self
and their efforts are like little ripples that widen with each person they touch

I've been attending some small business workshops as I consider a new endeavor
and I feel an odd sense of relief at being pulled out of the creative realms for a while
Which is quite ironic since the endeavor has a creative basis

I sense that something is changing again and I have the choice
between being frustrated or being excited that something is changing again
because new change means new doors are opening
in my continued quest to self


I just have to wait
and for once I don't mind
I'm sure I'll learn what I need as I move on

8 comments:

  1. Hey, sounds like 2013 is going great so far and bringing you new insights!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not always dear Debra...it's usually after banging head on wall for awhile that I see the lesson ;)

      Delete
  2. O dear... "artists are nuts" lol... I guess we all have our preconceived notions and prejudices; the important thing is to keep an open mind, and keep seeking to learn and grow. For me, I try to remember that each person is a unique individual who can't just be conveniently categorised, and that I must try to always believe the best of him or her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I'd just come to this conclusion about artists I also learned it doesn't apply to everyone. It wouldn't be fair to generalize everyone since I don't know everyone. But I am thankful (now) for the crazy making tendencies of some because they raised mine to the surface. I'm partially creative too. Without that I wouldn't have grown.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should add that one of the many hats I wear has a creative streak. And it can be nuts too which is why it's always good when something slaps me into self-realization.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are all still in the process, that is the fun, at least this is what I tell myself.................

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to read a post from you again, always changing and growing. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a student of life you are my dear. Always learning, always growing.
    As for the nuts? Wouldn't be a party mix without the nuts! Ha ha ha!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!