I watched a man as he prayed at Church
He held his hands so that the palms and fingers of each hand touched
Just like the nuns taught us in school
And I smiled at the familiarity...the comfort of routine
I feel sheltered in the cold and snow
The cold crisp air feels good to my lungs
The cold has become routine...and I feel safe
My days are spent in therapy
Or taking my time doing the things I've always taken for granted
Each day slowly unfurling into another
And I find comfort in this routine
Then...
The hubby announced he's getting a new kitchen counter top
And my eye twitched
Why? Why I asked? Why are you changing things?
He bombards me with questions
My brain shrinks
Both eyes twitch
I want to stick my head in the snow
~
The Kid stands before me with an endless cold
Points at his stomach and head saying OW
My brain scans for data...and comes up empty-handed
He bombards me with questions about colds, cars, money
My brain shrinks and my eye twitches
I'm building an igloo soon
~
Therapy is over in a week
The driving test is in two weeks
I have things to schedule and a kid to heal
The world is sucking me back in from the place I reside
And it's moving too fast
It's so different, garbled, scary
I start to back peddle...I can't, I won't, I don't...
I don't grasp things as fast as I once did
I can't 'walk and chew gum'
People have so many questions
And I start to panic
~
When I was little the nuns explained that when we pray
we should hold our hands so the palms and fingers touch
Hold your fingers straight so the prayers can reach the heavens
I would leave a little opening where the middle fingers met
so the prayers had a way out
I found comfort in knowing, in believing, everything would be fine
I smile
I take a deep breath
I join my hands, bring them close to my face,
leave a tiny space at the tip of my middle fingers
and I whisper Thank You to God
And I find comfort in knowing all will be fine
All will be as it should
Beautiful!
ReplyDeleteSimple things are comforting. You are wise to embrace them.
ReplyDeleteOMG! Brilliant post! Girl, you are writing AmaZinG!!! MS must be pushing the words forward and boosting your inner writer forward.
ReplyDeleteAmazing. You are expressing yourself wonderfully. Progress to be sure. Love this post. Love you!
Your writing is sheer poetry...
ReplyDelete