Do I matter?
Do I really matter?
Did I make a difference by being born?
Of course my family will say 'yes' because I matter to them
And whether good or bad I made a difference in two husbands' lives
The peace I have felt for several months is being bothered by this question
Do I matter?
I tell it to go away, I try bribing it, I try running from it
I finally sit beside it and ask 'why are you bothering me'
~ ~ ~
I exchanged emails the other day with an event director
She meets so many people so I didn't know if she'd remember me
I couldn't think of one thing that would have made me memorable
so I reminded her I rode in on my motorcycle
In turn she said she remembered me well and not because of the bike
She remembered me because of how easy it was to talk to me
Of who I was, of our common interests
I thought 'huh-there must be more to you Elena'
As I heal I find that my brain is trying to find its footing
Trying to get back to who I am
But I'm lost
I don't know who I am anymore?
Turns out I haven't known who I am since I stopped working
I dabbled with drawing, painting, writing...but they are not passions
I tried forming friendships but it didn't go too well
And while I heal that side is closed off completely
My brain refuses any of those mediums
Instead it wants to know
Do I matter?
~
I found a video that made my face scrunch in tearless scariness
Do I think these people matter?
Hell yes I do!
So, why am I any different?
I must matter too
I am so much tougher with myself than I would be with anyone else
I'm healing
Not just from surgery
I will take it slowly
I know I don't want to be rich and famous
I do know I want to make a difference
And I do matter
And one day I will know who I am
You matter. You were born for a reason you might not yet understand but believe me there was a reason.
ReplyDeleteListen to your inner voice. It will tell you who you are. Be patient though.
ReplyDeleteyou matter to me
ReplyDeleteYes. You matter. A whole lot.
ReplyDeleteI read this prior to going to work this a.m.
Did not have time for a good response so waited.
Stepped into shower and was blown over with head chatter prompted from this post.
Wrote quick notes to self before heading out to work.
Thank you for the brain stimulation.
My uber fast response to you is....
yes. you matter. you matter lots.
My less than uber fast response is...
Don't measure your worth through the eyes of another
Don't measure your worth in regard to how much of a difference you have or have not made
Don't measure your worth in how much or little you have done or what it was that you did
Don't measure your worth period
Just know that you are worthy
You are the perfect expression of you
No one else can be Elena no matter how hard they try
That means you are irreplaceable, priceless, valuable
You matter because you are
Your very presence is a gift from the Universe
Love yourself exactly as you are. When you truly love yourself for yourself you will know just how much you matter to you and that's what matters most!
Ooey gooey to youey!!!!!
Of course you matter! And of course you have made a difference! In ways that you can't even begin to know, your ripples are spreading out across this pond we call our world! I could go on and on about what a difference you have made but, if nothing else, your sharing this healing journey makes a difference! It is inspiring and enlightening to read about what you are going through. And I can't imagine what a difference it must make to someone who has had the same illness or to those of us who may in the future! Keep on healing! I know when you are 100% healed you are going to go out and kick some butt!! Just had a thought....maybe you will work at helping other people to get through what you have been through!
ReplyDeleteWell Elena, video made me well with tears. One of the things I'm working on is to be kinder and gentler to myself. Thanks for the reminder. Your blog has opened many peoples hearts and minds, you make a difference!
ReplyDeleteAh that old question, "Who am I?" when all these different facets of your personality connect together, and they will, then you are truly ready for that great voyage of self discovery!
ReplyDelete