"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Monday, February 3, 2014

Taking Down Names

First let me say 'thank you so much' for all your comments
I mean to respond and sometimes think I have
so if you don't get one, or get more than one (heehee)
do know I truly appreciate you all
~ ~ ~
This is probably one of the harder posts I need to write
because it's about the ugly side
I write for myself to gain understanding
(or atleast get it out of my head)

Over the years I've noticed that people going through illness sometimes
become mean and short-tempered
others become dismissive or demand constant attention
or create odd arguments and drama
others treat it as just another part of life and shine in new strength

This has always intrigued me
Because I've always believed some of the behaviors are part of the illness
The fear part...fear of the unknown, the change
 
But I also saw some sad parts
Where people who are ill lose many of their family or friends
At a time when they most need to feel support
Although they haven't really changed, some people treat them differently

And so it went throughout the years
Then I became ill and started to see the other side of things
When I became ill, it was like being in a parallel world with glass walls
I still recognize everything and everyone but they are different somehow
I feel I'm on the sidelines in a world I'm no longer a part of
I'm in 'bizarro-world'
 
Routine things are no longer routine
Some friends use Facebook as the means to 'human touch'
The males in the family try to back out quietly 
Food, drink, even the air is different
Everything takes on a sense of 'what if'
I begin to scrunch my eyes and take note
 
Taking note
Our family joke when someone does something 'bad' we tease and say
'I'm putting your name in the book'
Something that always makes us laugh
And it made me laugh
Because I realized I had somehow found myself in the lashing out stage
I don't recognize who I am 
So in turn I see how others relate to me
 
Having reached the point of 'taking note' (heehee)
made me realize I must be touching fear
 So I took another look and think that
Illness has a way of weeding through and eliminating the weak areas
and strengthening the strong ones
Some people shy away from those who are ill because they are afraid
Some don't want to be reminded and others don't know how to help
Some people are just too busy...plain and simple
Some people are meant to go through this with you
and in turn they will strengthen and grow too

What I was afraid of was the unknown
I am not afraid of dying
but when the Doctor said I have to be tested for more aneurysms
I was afraid I would have more and they would pop and I'd become incapacited
Or don't get me started on thinking the clip will open in my head
I do not want to be a burden on my family
I love them too much 

So after seeing that I realized how creative fear can be
If people forget me...then it was meant to be
Stuck in bizarro-world is temporary and is quite interesting
Sidelines...they're ok too...they give a different outlook
The physical changes are temporary and quite amusing
My hair still looks like I'm molting and there's still some glue
My boobs and butt fell! How does that happen?! LOL!
I've dropped 20 lbs by eating MORE
The mental changes...well I don't recognize who I am
but I am becoming more than I was 
 
I went through an ugly-side 
but I was lucky to recognize it
before it started lashing out at some poor unsuspecting chap 
The thing for me to remember is
I am NOT an illness...I'm just here visiting...learning

9 comments:

  1. oh my....I have never forgotten you, but it is true that we on the outside sometimes don't know what to say or do
    But having been with many sick friends...some who made it and some who didn't it
    I have learned that it is just the not forgetting
    It is hard to believe that this happening to you...miss brilliant artist
    but it did and I am amazed at your strength and honesty
    This is one challenging thing that has happened to you
    All I can do is check in with you on your blog and offer my comments as always
    ....so you're in the book..ha ha..
    Did you tell them that THEY are in your book too
    We all have dragons.....only you are a dragon slayer Elena
    soon..soon Spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the reply button! LOL I didn't mean to imply you guys! You guys have become my personal sounding board. Weird right? And LOL did I forget to mention my name is usually the one in the book the most? But oddly I've been treating self differently. Thank you for such kind words and for being so supportive.

      Delete
  2. I think your words are both wise and brave and "being in bizarro-world" seems apt. Bless your heart and keep on healing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cool thing about bizarro-world is when you recognize the loving souls like yourself. Thank you for always sending such kind words.

      Delete
  3. What? Wait just a minute! You lost weight by eating MORE? Dang. If only all illnesses had that side effect! The weight loss would explain the butt/boob drop! Silly!

    I think it's beautiful that you are sharing your experiences and your path with us. I think it is beautiful how you have handled this journey. I'm so happy you are feeling better and even drove! You go girl!!! I sure wish I wasn't working full-time now. I would be down there catering to you.

    YOu are writing beautifully my friend and I am loving watching you blossom once again. Hugs and healing being sent your way.

    Have to run now. Only been home for a half hour and it's back out in the cold for me as I pick up a kiddo from driver's ed. Yup. Kid #2 is almost driving! Gulp!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol I don't want to be catered to silly! Thank you for all you have done for me my friend. You've held out your hand whenever I needed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't be there, but I'm listening! Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so strong and wonderful, dear friend. I want to tell you again you are in my thoughts and prayers every single day. Peaceful, healing thoughts to you *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great and illuminating post Elena. Your honesty and humor are refereshing. I am puuting your name in "the book", THE GOOD BOOK!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!