"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Ties that Bind

I was maybe 14 standing in line at the checkout counter waiting my turn. Bored I picked up the little horoscope book entitled Virgo and flipped through it. The first thing I read was "will never be a leader...always a follower". I was partly relieved to finally have an answer to all the "there's gotta be more to life" stirrings which had begun in my head. "See, brain, there is more to life, you are to follow along as the book says". But I mentally cringed at the thought.

But I was quick to use that line "will never be a leader...always a follower" whenever I felt the stirrings to do more, to strive to achieve, or dream big. I was lucky to have support all around me growing up. Instead I held myself back with that one little sentence by truly believing it held my truth. Even when I was old enough to know better and had started to doubt that all Virgos were followers. The idea was already firmly planted and served as a great default to fall back upon. 'It' and fear teamed up to recruit other self doubts until they formed a great chain around the part of me that still knew 'there was more to life'.

I started wondering if I were wrong when a college professor told me "you have so much potential but You are your own worst enemy". And there it was. Another seedling planted in my head. One tiny weak little idea that struggled to grow among the shadow of those already firmly rooted. I knew I had support all around me if I reached out. But my 'follower' tendencies kept me firmly anchored to where I believed I belonged. Behind the line. But the new little seedling would pop up unexpectedly and I started taking little bursts forward that caused havoc in my head and left those around me wondering why I was behaving out of character. (You should see the havoc when I started riding the Harley or became a manager)

And the resulting war in my head between the two ideas, 'be a follower' vs 'you can be more', have created a very interesting dance. One that often becomes tiring and I want to fall on my knees back to the default. But I alone have the power to choose to carry the self-imposed chain around my neck or fly free.


"Chains of habit are too light to be felt 
until they are too heavy to be broken" Warren Buffet 

Or perhaps more fitting 

"It is hard to free fools from the chains they revere" Voltaire

8 comments:

  1. Great thoughts there! I looked at horoscopes about fourteen too, but with a much broader description of traits... whoever wrote that little page was making judgments on people never met! Time to dismiss that chain as the farce it was!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an excellent essay Elena ~ Having some habits I need to break myself, I may have to borrow that quote from Warren Buffet.

    I can relate on so many levels and found myself thinking maybe what you were intended to follow was your own creative voice and heart!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog today~
    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting post, Elena.
    Yes, I can relate to your words here. To be a follower, stay safe or take the leap of faith to be more. My internal chains keep me stuck at times. To be a leader requires being held accountable (in my opinion). That's why I thought being a teacher would take me out of my follower mentality. To be safe and follow can be boring and predictable, but to have a voice and guide others by example that sounds pretty darn fulfilling.I remember a college prof telling me I had so much to offer and needed to "voice my thoughts" to others. He gleaned this from my writings and term papers where my voice felt comfortable. I'm caught in limbo between follower and leader back and forth I go letting go of old stuff that doesn't fit, embracing and dusting off parts that want to take center stage.
    You raise up some good thoughts here, Elena. I think your blog here puts you in the leader category for sure. Hugs from Bev

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's amazing how a tiny bad seed can turn into an ugly weed.....and make us feel like an ugly weed, too! time to pull that baby out by the roots.....!
    xox, :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Remembering that if we can impose the chains we can also throw them off is the key !!!I hope the freedom from them brings you your something "more". I think you are the cat's pajamas just as you are ! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. O M G !!!! NO wonder we are so in sync with our postings lately. Did you read the Fluffy one I posted today?.. WE ARE BOTH VIRGO's AND I have been told the same thing. I AM my own worst enemy...maybe we we're cast from the same mold..hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  7. We/I are born with this wonderful brain and we/I choice to believe crap....I ask what's that all about. I keep reading that Geminian's are superfial(sp)..and that blows my mind away...come Why do people write that stuff? Well all I know is standing in a line at a kids camp one summer above the food line in the Cafetra area there where these words...You Always have Choices" again is said You always have choices" here at a young age for these children the were reminded that they do have choices.. And so I give you the OK to make a choice to believe how you want...Just because a book says so doesn't make it right...believe the gut lady believe the gut... that's where the truth is...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!