"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter Pride

When my Mama was dying last year
My nephew phoned the hospital and said he'd heard she was giving up
He told me to tell her that if she would fight to live
He would pursue his baptism within the Catholic Church
Something my Mama had prayed for since his birth 35 years ago
When she left the hospital several weeks later
He signed up for his classes

A couple months ago I was surprised when he asked me to be his sponsor
the witness who stands at his side in this endeavor
I laughed...reminding him that I was the least religious in the clan
Reminding him that although I will always be 'foundation Catholic'
my beliefs extend beyond those that the Church teaches
He insisted; I gave in
And with a smirk my sister, his mom, watched as I tagged along
Weekly ceremonies during Mass
Finding myself really listening and looking forward to another week

Last night was the grand finale
2.5 hours of ceremonies conducted in the Holy Saturday Mass
At the pouring of water on his head, my Mama cried
The priest spoke of death and resurrection
My nephew continued on with communion and confirmation
I had a renewed sense of faith
How fitting on this day
Darkness to Light
New beginnings
~ ~ ~

I am proud of my nephew
Proud that someone who is normally not motivated
Found the motivation to stick with what he started
Thankful that he made my Mama's heart swell 
That he has found community within religion
A new beginning
~
Happy Easter

4 comments:

  1. Glad I checked in to see what you were up to. Nice post Hugs Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got goose bumps of joy from this post; your mom's request, and your nephew and you carrying through. God is working in this for your nephew and in having you find renewed faith. Wow.
    Have a blessed Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Give him all our congratulations. I did this with Jon when he converted to Catholicism, it truly is a learning and eye-opening experience. But his love for his grandmother was his motivation and that love is such a great gift. You are also an inspiration for being his sponsor and supporting and encouraging him. <3<3<3
    to all of you! Such a wonderful love of family and God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done to your nephew and also for his inspired choice in Sponsor.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!