My Mama spent four nights with me
We went to lunch, shopped for plants, watched movies
and because she enjoys it so much, even went to the casino
where my main entertainment is shaking her chair
keeping step to the bells and whistles of the bonus rounds
As we gardened we talked
and talked and talked
and I listened
There is so much wisdom in speaking to this elder of mine
stories reminding me of who I am culturally
or stories that seem to prove people get what they deserve
although some not as fast as they should
or stories of strength, courage, stupidity, humor and lessons
life has many lessons if you choose to see them
But one of my favorite conversations happened as we gardened
(family shoes - Mama's garden 2012)
Clear out the weeds, cut back some of this, remove some of that
It all makes room for new growth...
allows the light in...will make the plants stronger
Elena, you will learn this applies to life too. Pay attention.
You will learn who to keep in your life and who to 'weed out'.
Some cuts will hurt at the time but are critical to new growth.
Surround yourself with family and trust your instinct.
I really love to hear all this in Spanish
peppered with some swearing here and there
and the occasional 'que se vayan al infierno'
which just sounds so much prettier than 'they can go to hell'
This weekend I jump on the moto and head out solo to a women's retreat
Friday I have Basic fishing and boating
Saturday is Basic horsemanship
Sunday is Backpacking and Power Tools
and next week my baby graduates from 8th grade
Yep, the plants and I are weed free and smiling.
~ ~ ~
My son's handmade card read
Just so you know, I won't put you in a home when you're old
(you're old now)
bwah-ha-ha!!
~ ~ ~
My son's handmade card read
Just so you know, I won't put you in a home when you're old
(you're old now)
bwah-ha-ha!!
love it

Love your Mom's family shoe garden -- what a great idea! And woohoo! Have fun at that women's retreat!
ReplyDeleteElder wisdom. What a gift! Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend and another one arriving shortly. Have fun at the retreat! Your son. He's funny! Tee hee
ReplyDeleteYou are a wise woman Elena. I enjoyed reading over the posts I had missed.
ReplyDeleteYour shrine for your brother is beautiful and sacred.
♥♥♥
You have a very wise mother. Weeding out people who have negative influences in our lives is a hard thing to do but worth it in the end.
ReplyDeleteMagic momma and me moments for you ! Especially when you came so close to losing her last year. I guess the Uiverse wanted to make sure you heard her words of wisdom and love.
ReplyDeleteThe retreat sounds heavenly !!! Wow ! Brava for taking that adventure for yourself. Soak it all in, Seeker Girl !
Love and light !
You are a power tool! Your son's perspective and mine are a little different. Well, I wouldn't put you in a home either, but you are his elder. And please, keep some of the wildflowers!
ReplyDeleteExcellent thoughtful post- we learn so much from gardening and being with our loved ones
ReplyDeleteJohnina
Well said.....
ReplyDeleteElena, I am glad you found me because I am now very glad I have found you. I am looking forward to sharing on your journey of self discovery. I hope I get to the point where I can ditch my current career and focus on myself...
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you get to spend quality time with your mom. Have a great time at your retreat!
ReplyDelete