"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

My Kiln Her Kiln

It's funny what the Universe brings your way when you
Ask, Believe..get out of the way
I've been searching for a fused glass artist
And just when I gave up finding one...
Well, I took her two day workshop and created these, remember?


We hit it off...she knows of a used kiln for sale
The hubs buys it for me and with it comes boxes of glass
she offers to teach me to use it
We played for a few hours last week and I made these
as I tried out the new-to-me kiln

When my Mama arrived for her long weekend stay I showed her
And she laughed..."NOW what are you trying"
"All of it Ma, as much as I can"

So she smirks and says "Did I tell you I used to fuse glass"
Now this may not seem like an odd comment
except that my Mama was born and raised in a tiny Mexican village
without electricity, plumbing, and looks alot like the Flintstones' village

She and her friend would search the village for broken shards of glass
They would gather straw and broken twigs and form a small mound
A layer of manure would cover the mound of straw and twigs
Being careful to leave a small opening near the bottom to expose the kindling
They would lay the glass onto the manure 
and cover the glass with more manure
until a rather large 3' pile lay before them
They would set fire to the kindling and let it burn through the night
In the morning they would search the ashes for the now fused shards of glass
~ ~ ~
These are the stories I enjoy most
Because whether she realizes it or not
I'm alot like her
The curiosity that keeps me seeking
and why she tells me to keep trying everything life has to offer

Found this quote in my email this morning...
"The more seeds you sow, the more plants we'll grow." ~The Universe

7 comments:

  1. That is so cool. Fused glass is so fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these and the connection with your Mama. Can I order one with lots of blue in it? Hugs Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what an amazing link between your mom and you; in a place long ago she fused glass too. BTW your pieces are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love This!!! Like, big, puffy heart love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Be grateful your kiln is different from her kiln. Save the manure to fertilize the seeds you sow. Your talents abound and astound.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First, the fused glasses are beautiful. Second, the opening line of your post " It's funny what the Universe brings your way when you
    Ask, Believe..get out of the way" is absolutely inspiring. It is a much needed reminder for me that the universe is alive and very much in tune with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this !
    My Mom comes tomorrow for a nice long weekend with me. We will share one of our love, the sea ! Going for a beach day for sure !
    Here's to Mother/Daughter love and adventures !
    Cheers, Beautiful !

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!