"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Friday, November 1, 2013

How do you say 'thank you'

At my Doc's appointment this week
he pulled the tape off my head
to reveal a gross 10" worm looking thing sunbathing on my head
(my family insists it's residual glue...I won't look)
he also gave me nutritional orders as well as the mandate to walk
5 miles a day
I laughed
He looked confused

So my sister took me to the state park to walk a little (very little)
I was thrilled because I felt 'normal'
She looked nervous because I wasn't being careful
But the next two days I was so exhausted I could barely lift my arms
 
The nurse reminded me that it will take a w-h-i-l-e for me to heal
that I will feel the fatigue fast, that the swelling will take time
I get angry and try to work through it and my body just zones out
I am at its mercy right now
I just have to listen to it...it's just the way it is
I get restless, desperate, the mind games start...so I reach for gratitude 
~ ~ ~
I begin to think how thankful I am
If my family wasn't taking care of me I know I wouldn't be healing so well
They fit me into their hectic schedules
My sister leaves her family during the week to take care of me 
I feel guilty but oh so thankful
But how do you say 'thank you' - the words aren't enough

I begin to think of how amazing this all unraveled
Early in the year I kept telling my hubby that I had something in my head
'Yep a tumor maybe' I'd say and he'd laugh me off
I started feeling the urgency to get my will done
More like desperation...and the hubby would ask 'what's with you?'
I'd point at my head
Then came the urgency to see the wild horses along the east coast
and I'd say 'I have to go'
So when I came home from that trip with a fluke jostled muscle
and the Doc sent me for MRIs for a look
they found the aneurysm
and here I am no annie, worm on head, and super long sloth-like healing
knowing full well I wouldn't be here had it popped
and I am thankful
But how do you say 'thank you' to God/Spirit when the words aren't enough
I give HIM a thumbs up
My heart swells not really because I'm still alive
but because of how it unraveled, because of the great medical team,
my awesome family and because of all the love I've received
 
Somehow even a huge fireworks show
spelling 'thank you' in a starlit sky
with music playing and the smell of burning campfires
just wouldn't be enough either

maybe something like falling on my knees
sniveling, crying, wrapped around a leg
crying 'thank you thank you thank you' might be better
but then the Doc might wonder if opening my brain wasn't such a good idea
~ ~ ~
By the way
Thank you for all your loving words
I mean to reply but then don't remember if I do
so I apologize if I haven't and send you huge squishy hugs

9 comments:

  1. Saying thank never seems to feel like enough. But I'm sure it is for all the loving people around you. Saying thank you to God/Spirit? Just LIVE thankfully, everyday for the rest of your life! IMHO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is a huge squishy hug for you -- you mighty woman of valour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you answered your own question! I am sorry to hear about the hard parts but so very happy to see you writing and growing and healing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such love and courage is commendable Elena, not only in those around you but of that which is within you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. seems you know exactly how to say it
    and everyone loves you
    so it was easy peasy
    ...5 miles!....yikes
    you are going to be a size 2 before we know it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a journey you are on, Sweetie! The thing that gives me the most hope for you is how your awesome spirit shines through all of this, in every word you share and in every bit of gratitude you put out into the world. Sending you continued loving and healing light my Friend. 💗

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful, happy to hear so much progress!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!