"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Wings at Rest

Although the Mama is still in the hospital she looks good
Feisty, sarcastic and hilarious - her old self
In walks a tall gloomy looking cardiac doctor
The kind with frown lines but no smile lines
The kind with tired eyes who speaks in a monotone voice
And I wonder what inspires him towards happiness
Watching him I feel that tinge of respect; awe
As he lifts my Mama's blanket to check her legs his voice raises
A hint of 'something' as he asks who is the artistic one
My Mama points towards me as he says in a wistful voice
"Congratulations. You are so lucky. I have always wanted to be artistic"
As he gave me a quick look....of awe
I felt...confused
It's just markers and a doodle...nothing like what he does.




But that, paired with your amazing support
To my confession of a wimpy moment
Reminded me that this situation is temporary
I am just tired

From the hospital I stopped at Goodwill
Found treasures for future artwork
One monstrosity has started the wheels churning
And for $3.99 an artist portfolio filled with supplies
I woke up at 11:00 last night...sat next to the dogs on the floor
Watched the raccoon try to get to the hummingbird feeder
Going about his business in the moonlit yard
And it felt comforting, safe and I remembered
There is beauty in the darkness if you look
Not to give in to perceived boogiemen lurking in the shadows
Because a new light always follows darkness




And finally 
that my wings weren't dramatically torn off...
I took them off for a rest

And perhaps sent them out for cleaning

Thanks again for all your supportive words
Y'all rock

12 comments:

  1. Very nice post Elena. "A new light always follows darkness." I love that and will remember that when times are dark. Have a great rest of the week, you artist you!:) Have to go do double duty in cleaning,I've been slacking. Glad your mama is doing good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep on shining that light. Our world needs it so much.
    Love that the Doc. took a moment to be in awe. Hope...that's what that is.
    Love to you, Winged One.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elena, you would be amazed at the number of doctors who HAVE artistic talent. It appears that the two go hand in hand when cultivated.
    Make him something. Something small he can keep in his pocket~~~give him a conduit for joy when he has had a day of desperate and harsh reality.
    That is your gift to pass on.....
    And all our wings need a rest, especially when we try to flap the feathers out of them! ;-)

    XXOO~~♥♥♥
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmmmmm..... Great post and most impressed! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the phrase "y'all rock!" My response is to say to you... "rock on!" Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the Goodwill treasures! That's sure to get your creative juices flowing. And that cast! OMG!!! Work of friggin' art! It's gorgeous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is beautiful how the doctor acknowledged your artistic work, and you admire his skills. It all goes together to make a whole world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Prayers for u and your mom Elena..may she get back on her legs soon and make u run for ur life,

    love and hugs,
    Meeta :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. ohh and I forgot..the doodle is beautiful, thank heavens I am not taking up orthopedics, or else half my patients would have had casts with doodles or colors to take home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awe, confusion, and nature's normalcy in the dark. I was stuck by these words as much as you were. I believe you were in awe that this man of such power, such prestige was so worn, tired, unhappy. But you admired who he was, what he could do, but were struck by his weariness. Then you were stunned that he, this almighty, weary doctor could be moved by your gift, your awesomeness! This surprise caught you off guard and on top of all that is happening you felt like things were out of whack. You have felt lost, not sure, unable to look at yourself for the value you own. You try and minimize it. Yes, it is only markers and doodles. But what I hope you can find in this message is that for a brief moment, maybe longer, you touched this dreary man's day with beauty. Beauty that you created out of love and your vision. Only markers and doodles--but in your hand, a gift--that touched an otherwise boring, dreary day for a weary, tired man and surprised him and made him smile and realize something he wished for, maybe something he wants to be when "he grows up"! Love to you my angel. Your difficult task you took on without hesitation has tired out your wings. Lay them down and let them re-fluff. Your life is upset for only a while and then it will be as normal as what you seek late at night.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!