It's probably the season
That has inspired so many ideas about change
Change is a given
And yet it can inspire great fear
This moment that I stand in right now
Was a great fear yesterday or last month or last year
And yet here I stand, content
The perceived dragons and world implosions nowhere to be found
I fear change
because it means losing familiarity
even if the familiar isn't a good fit
What if I's take over
What if they's soon follow
I try to hold on; shackle them to my wrist
in the hopes of dragging them with into the future
but inevitably even they transform
becoming something grander...or not
Change may be beautiful
Change may be horrifying
But even that change changes (still with me?)
~ ~ ~
Several years ago I walked away from an 18 yr marriage
But what tore me apart was that although I still cared for him deeply
I knew we were no longer good for one another
I resisted the change that beckoned
I mourned for the loss of a large family I would never have
I feared the loss of a friend
And standing at the last football game I smiled in wonder
To my left, the new hubs
To my right, the smiling old hubs and his new wife
Holding onto my hands as we spun in circles, their four year old son
And at holiday parties
My new hubs laughing
As one of my two step sons has me in a headlock calling me Mexi-Ma
And greeting his ex wife and her new hubs with a hug and warm smiles
As they tease about my insisting that their grandchild call me Nana instead of grandma
As painful as that change was
I didn't lose a friend but rather gained the large family I craved
Unable to have more children, the Universe found a way to give my son siblings
The thing is, change can be easy and it can be hard
It's all fluid
It's all about perceptions
It's like a willow dancing with the winds
It's about trusting that the Great Spirit will be at your side
That there is good even in the bad
That the contrast between the two is what makes life beautiful
And if change leaves you in an undesirable spot
The key is remembering that you're not stuck in it
You can change it or change the way you view it
Life is rather amazing, no?



CHange I don't care for either. Glad your change was for the good. Sorry about this short comment, but I'm learning to uuse the keyboard on iipad2 and it is just too small. Take care. enjoy your weekend.
ReplyDeleteHow true! How true! Change is inevitable. Often much better than we could have imagined. And even if it is sad or bad for a while...even that change will change once again. Loved this post! Loved that you got your big family that you wanted!! :):)
ReplyDeleteYikes, you are talking to me. Buddy, can you spare a dime?
ReplyDeleteWell said Elena,it is very often only in hindsight that we can see how essential some changes were.
ReplyDeleteGot to embrace it! Hugs Karen
ReplyDeleteLife is amazing, YES !
ReplyDeleteHere's to learning to move with the change rather than fight against it. How much easier is that ?
Happy Monday, Wise One ! Big Love !