Trying to drown out the swirls of thoughts this morning
I sat down to write the Morning Pages
Many questions spilled out but alas no answers
I think my Morning Pages are broken
Afterwards I'll admit I was feeling a bit peeved and turned on the tv
Hoarders was on, the show that tries to help a person overcome their home's clutter
Well, clutter doesn't come close to the barrage of stuff these poor souls are living with
And I watched as a man's child was taken away by child services and an
artist whose husband was leaving because he was tired of being buried alive
They were at a crossroads; clean the clutter or else
From my vantage point I thought 'it's a no brainer'
And yet, I watched as these people continuously stopped the cleanup
Dragged things back out of the dumpster, pulled out broken pieces of stuff
And ran them back into their home
Unable to comprehend I thought to myself,
'how could that be worth more than losing who you love'
~
Then my mind countered with
'yeah, Elena, how could holding onto stuff be worth more than what you could gain'
Looking around I thought, I don't hold onto clutter
I surround myself with things I love, and really attempt to keep the 'art stuff' contained
But I slowly realized this wasn't the stuff being referred to
The clutter I hold onto is that within
The 'rooms' within rival any clutter shown on Hoarders
My Morning Pages (MPs) had revealed that when I was 10ish
I had been whining that I didn't know what to do with my life
And that I was afraid I would die never knowing
I'm 44 and still whining about the same thing
I whined to the MPs that I was worried I would still be whining at 88
That's alot of whining
Too bad whining isn't an occupation
But it turns out I'm hoarding so many old and broken ways of thinking
that there's no room for the new and improved
The Artists Way is like the cleanup crew on Hoarders
it's pulling stuff out to the dumpster
and I'm dragging it back in
As I kick and scream about how important that old worry is to me
I sense those around me looking at me thinking
'how could that be worth more than what she can gain?'
And whoa, I got it!
I hadn't seen it before...I was lost in the clutter
Now I have to put on the gloves and start purging
I suspect it will be as dramatic as the show
but isn't the wonder of what may come when there's room...thrilling?
~
Seems the MPs weren't broken after all
Crazy Universe
(and sending a little prayer to the poor souls on the show to deal with an illness little understand)
(and sending a little prayer to the poor souls on the show to deal with an illness little understand)
Love it!! I find that when I need to clear internal clutter, I start cleaning external clutter as well. It helps my mind when I clean house or redecorate an area. Sort of weird, but it works for me. And that's what I'm doing today while it's storming outside. I've put art on hold for the day (to clear my mind) and am spending it beautifying the house, cooking a good meal and crafting a bit. We are so lucky, Elena that we have time and leisure to be able to figure all this out! Some people never do... Love, Silke
ReplyDeleteYup. I don't have cable but have heard of the show and know a few hoarders in person. It is an external example of what is going on internally. Hard to see. Hard to recognize it in one-self even if only the internal part.
ReplyDeleteGood self-awarenss Dear Friend. Purge away. Maybe you could re-name your Morning Pages Journal... "The Dumpster". tee hee!
I loooooove the comparison to hoarding!!! I watch those shows---partly because I "get" their frame of mind and their attachment to their things and it scares the shit out of me!!! And partly to remind myself to NOT GET that way!!!! "Letting go" has always been a problem for me, be it things, people, memories whatever. Time for a mind clearing!!! Out with the old, in with the new!!! Love being on this journey with you!!! And I love Nacher's "dumpster" idea!!
ReplyDeleteExcellent!
ReplyDeleteThat's a great comparison! That we hoard ways of thinking and will not let go of them no matter how much better off we might know we would be without them. You really gave me something to mill on with this post. Thanks! Your morning pages are really giving you great stuff! :):)
ReplyDeleteI feel as though I am peeking inside your brain these days, reading your thoughts and learning about you. In so doing, I am analyzing my own thoughts and feelings, maybe getting to know myself a bit better. Hummm, interesting, purging hoarded ways of thinking that are no longer needed.
ReplyDeleteInteresting comparison. Great post! Hugs Karen
ReplyDeleteAnother great, thought-provoking post. I can identify for sure. Have a happy week Elena♥♥♥
ReplyDeleteWhat a profound insight! One that many of us can benefit from, too.
ReplyDeleteit's a sickness for sure, hard to watch the shows. Enjoying you own decluttering thought...great progress your good at spotting a area that needs a look see and then working at it..
ReplyDeleteI think the purge will always be on going. I think it is the nature of our humanness. But it is also our nature to keep strive to get better, do better, know better. How awesome are we, even in our cluttered,messy hoard ?
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, extra love to those who have an extra deep layer to work through.
Hugs, Brilliant One !