"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Christmas has begun

December 1st
When did it sneak in?
I'm being very careful about keeping away from the hoards of people
Who ruin Christmas for me
So I have done all my family shopping online

But there's no denying that there is a magical side to Christmas
So I've decided that starting today I'm going to be on the lookout
Even if I can only rely on memories for now

What's the most magical Christmas you remember?

I must have been about 11
family was together making the annual tamales
I grabbed a small piece of paper and wrote
"Santa, if you really exist, please bring my Mama new drinking glasses
Dari keeps breaking them all & we have to share coffee cups. 
Never mind you don't exist."
And I balled it up and threw it under the tv cabinet
(tvs were deep cabinets back then and I must've been a slob)

So we ate, had fun, kept watching the clock
My Dari came home early around 11:30 and was 'happy drunk'
I had never seen 'happy drunk' and it was like a breath of fresh air
We handed out gifts at midnight
Sitting in a pile of christmas wrap we looked around for any stragglers
Way back behind the tree was an unmarked box
My Mama had the honor of opening those since tags always fell off
Inside was a box of drinking glasses
Everyone asked who it was for and from but nobody confessed
I ran to the tv cabinet, belly flopped looking for my note to Santa
but it was gone

So yep it was the best Christmas
I have to ask my sisters which of them found my note
and ran out before midnight to get those glasses

Most magical Christmas
How about yours?

4 comments:

  1. That's a truly magical story! Love-love-love it!

    Funny, I just love the whole holiday season! The peace, joy, and goodwill toward man...all that love and singing and happiness. Ahhh! And yet, I don't remember a specific Christmas as being special. I just loved them because from about Thanksgiving till New Year's Day things were nicer at my house. My parents didn't fight as much. I know--that's the opposite of what you usually hear, but they both must have loved Christmas, I guess. It imagine it was that feeling like your dad coming home happy drunk--but for most of a month! I just ate it up! So I suppose that is why I have always delighted in the holidays and having no money for presents, no decorations...nope, nothing at all can dampen my holiday joy! :):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great memory!

    My most magical Christmas as a child? Meh. The only memory I have of Christmas as a child was a time when my brothers and I pulled out our sleeping bags and slept under the tree. I remember looking up at all the twinkling lights and how happy it made me feel. It felt magical.
    Other than that, the only Christmas memories I have from when I was young are the fact that we always had real trees (still do) and the cat would always climb them and knock them over. One year my mom actually tied and anchored it to the ceiling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My memories from childhood were often about the mountains of gifts we would get, even though most of the rest of the year, money was always tight. My Mom would work at the fancy department store in the evenings during the holidays to make extra money, and she spent it all on gifts. I think my favorite gift I ever received was the year we all got Muppet puppets (Kermit, Animal, Rolf, Miss Piggie, and Scooter.) How we loved that show! And as you know, still do !
    Here's to finding the magical moments !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you ever read Too Many Tamales by Soto? It's a children's picture book that I've used for programming. It's a little long, but it usually works because I love the book so much. http://www.amazon.com/Too-Many-Tamales-Gary-Soto/dp/0698114124/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322872776&sr=8-1

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!