As a Project Manager I knew how crucial communication was
Without it projects would break down and fail
I was good at it
Recognized potential problems and acted accordingly
Relationships are trickier
I have one failed marriage to prove I wasn't very good
at communicating on a more personal level
Doing better at number two by recognizing old patterns
and making sure I keep those lines of communication open
I've even become good at reading people's non-verbal cues
Can pick up a vibe from an email
Recognize body language
The things they don't say that speak volumes
Where I truly suck is at intrapersonal communication
the dreaded self-talk
Sure I know there is the 'little voice' that says
don't forget to buy bread, pay the bill, pick up the kid
sometimes even says
you can't do that or yeah let's go for it
but I DO NOT recognize its other aspects
it may as well be speaking Swahili
Somehow I ignored, or didn't recognize, my body's distress signals
Got to the point of being listless, confused, weirded out
Luckily I have an online tribe that's also good at picking up email vibes
And made me go to the doc
Funny how one little bp pill and antibiotic
can make you feel sooooo much better
But I didn't see it
My body tried telling me; I just didn't listen
And in the same day
an artist whom I admire said I have to stop being negative
say I am an artist
believe in my talent
believe in my dreams
I thought what is he talking about?
So I asked
He said it's how I phrase my questions or comments
As in "I'm just a wannabe artist, so I'd like to know..."
or "This is stupid but I would like to..."
I thought wow, when you point it out that way, yeah that's bad
Here's a complete stranger
Pointing out a bad habit
How did I not see it?
So I asked The Hubs and then The Mama
who both said yes I'm very negative
self-bashing
They tried telling me I have talent
I said they have to say that because they love me
And they said 'see!'
I shut up
I asked The Kid
he's brutally honest; no sugar coating there
What am I like Kid?
Ma, you're an artist who doesn't do art
You're talented but complain about yourself
You're going to give yourself a heart attack
humph
I wonder if I can divorce myself
on grounds of 'lack of communication'
Maybe I can learn Swahili...
~
Every human has four endowments-
~
Every human has four endowments-
self awareness, conscience, independent will and creative imagination.
These give us the ultimate human freedom...
The power to choose, to respond, to change.
~Stephen Covey
~Stephen Covey
Soooooo glad that you're feeling better!! AND that you're self communication is improving! I need to take lessons. I do all the same things but perhaps in a quieter way. It's REALLY unhealthy!! I like the idea of divorcing ones self. Mine would be on the grounds of "lack of commitment" I think! Ain't it amazing how clearly our kids see us?!?! We think we are getting away with something with them---NOT!! Hey!! Here's an idea.....how bout we go get matching tattos that say "I AM AN ARTIST"!!! Ha! I'd probably get it on my butt where I could never see it! Great self-defeating behavior!!! Oh well, off to think about flags!
ReplyDeleteElena, visualize you are holding a magic wand and that you are casting the spell saying "This is who I choose to be, this is who I choose to be, this is who I choose to be" of course think about who you want to be fist, then the rest is down to you and nobody else, no matter what they may say or imply.
ReplyDeleteI know of a family near me that can give you Swahili lessons.
ReplyDelete