"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Monday, November 21, 2011

My Treasures

Webster's defines treasure as 
"wealth (as money, jewels, or precious metals) stored up or hoarded"
 ~ ~ ~
As a kid I dreamed of pirates and hidden treasure
Kept my eyes open while digging on the beach or in the woods
As a working adult I believed the treasure was hidden in monthly paychecks
And unwillingly shared with the 'fat cats' to add to their hoard

But lately I've been (re)discovering the real treasures
The treasures that lie in Nature's beauty and intoxicate all the senses
And teach respectful awe of transformation  

The treasures hidden within 'true' humanity
as opposed to those that lie with their heads buried within the arms of conformity
I have discovered compassion, love, craziness,true spirituality
I have discovered that 'not fitting in' is a very good thing

 So perhaps my definition of treasure is:
"that which reawakens a sense of wonder and gratitude and meant to be shared with others"

~ ~ ~

Not long ago I helped my Mama with some household chores
After which she jokingly 'paid' me with these treasures



Can you guess what they are?

~
The first is a dried cactus leaf

The second, pennies crushed on the railroad tracks
(the Mama and her sister, in their 80s, were playing on the train tracks)

The third is a Hala (paint) brush
from the dried fruit of the Hauhala tree in Hawaii

Treasures my Mama collected
and gifted to me because she said only I would understand
And the funny thing is 
I do

10 comments:

  1. Love these treasures! I would have not guessed the second one. Hugs Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post! Priceless treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful treasures! Your Mama is just like us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get that these are treasures. My sisters and I have treasure exchanges, too. I love being able to look at a treasure and know that it is tied to our love of one another as well as the treasure.
    love 'n hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your defintion of treasure much better than Webster's ! I am using it in my own dictionary, okay ?

    Enjoy the abundance of treasure around you, Lovely Elena !

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are truly treasures and made more valuable because they are from your mama. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are definitely part of my trove of kindred spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guessed the pennies but not the other two treasures. Isn't it great to be understood, and especially by your mother!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!