I struck back with a full blown strike
Against any store, mall, television or radio commercial
That tried convincing me that the value of X-mas
was to be measured by the giving or receiving of the latest, greatest, must-have-gift
In stripping away this facade of commercialism
I discovered a growing number of small businesses that still say "Merry Christmas"
I discovered that this paring down to basics could result
in symptoms reminiscent of DTs as I wondered if my meager gifts were 'enough'
I discovered that once I worked through the distractions, I could strike gold
Unencumbered by judgment or self doubt I let myself be me
I was decked out in multiple necklaces, bracelets, multi colored nail polish
I danced to Christmas carols; I said 'I love you', I smiled big, I hugged hard
I made eye contact with everyone
I joked and teased with every family member and played with every kid
I was decked out in multiple necklaces, bracelets, multi colored nail polish
I danced to Christmas carols; I said 'I love you', I smiled big, I hugged hard
I made eye contact with everyone
I joked and teased with every family member and played with every kid
And I must share the most valuable gift I received
As I left my brother in law's house yesterday
Drooling I swiped six homemade cookies and wrapped them in a holiday napkin
We came to a stop light and I saw a hunched over old woman
sitting on a milk crate off to the side
my heart felt heavy thinking of her being alone
She was too far to give money to and the cars were gathering behind us
I hesitated between knowing what I wanted to do and wondering what I could do
And then my hubs said, "Do you want to give her something?"
He turned the corner, parked and handed me money
The woman struggled to get up and started limping towards us
I ran to meet her, holding out both hands and saying "Merry Christmas"
she didn't look at the money
her eyes were focused on the brightly colored napkin I lay in her hand
"It's not much" I said "but Merry Christmas"
She looked so excited
I literally saw the light come up from the corners of her expanding smile
across her toothless grin and crinkle the corners of her expanding eyes
like a kid....at Christmas
We stood there our hands connected by the meager offerings
As she kept saying thank you and I replied
"No, thank you" as I held on a moment longer
My heart soared when I stepped in the car
Watching her unwrap the little package with care
I felt touched by the Light
the one that Christmas is all about
the one with promises of hope, rebirth, love
a gift I had received from someone with apparently very little to give
Ok so it may seem mean to give cookies to a toothless little grandma
but they were soft and oh so yummy
Here's the thing, I found out Christmas isn't what society tells me it is
It's about connections to others around us
About remembering that the Light within us expands when shared
it's about love and hope and gratitude
and all the other feel good thingies that I was lucky enough to experience
Yes....you have truly found Christmas.
ReplyDeleteAnd isn't it WONDERFUL and the opposite of what *society* tells us it SHOULD BE???
Bless you Elena for your willingness to SEE, and your GENEROSITY.
Another star in your crown. :-)
Love~~
Anne
This made my soul dance and twirl and sing, covered in beads and bright clothes, and hand out love and hugs and cookies!! You have it right, dear one!! Now that was a Christmas to remember!! :):):)
ReplyDeleteMerry Christmas sweet one. Hugs Karen
ReplyDeleteWouldn't matter if the toothless granny could eat the cookies or not, she was obviously so thrilled with the gift, it was enough to receive it. Maybe she went on and gave them to someone else, thereby expanding your gift. I'll bet she appreciated them more than the money. You have a beautiful soul, Elena.
ReplyDeleteYes, yes, and yes!!! You are such an inspiration, Elena!! I just plain didn't have time to worry much about Christmas or to worry about not having enough to give. So, I gave of my time, of things I had made throughout the year and it all turned out beautifully!! Much love, Silke
ReplyDelete