I grew up with dogs, cats, fish, a turtle and birds
But my most favorite was the Amazon parrot
Pancho
Pancho was part of the family
He lived in a large cage in the kitchen
He thought he was human
He ate chicken, tacos, chile, 7up
Held a spoon to eat jello
Before you think this was animal cruelty
He wouldn't eat anything other than these things
He lived a long content life
His favorite song, Happy Birthday
Favorite holiday, Thanksgiving
He was part of the daily activity that centered around the kitchen table
He often wandered the house
But always returned to the safety and comfort of his home
When it was time to sleep he perched in the middle of his cage
Fluffed up his feathers, lifted a leg, and closed his eyes
(probably dreaming of food)
But one day there was a loud commotion
Pancho was screeching and the cage was rattling!
As I ran I imagined the worst
One of the sewer rats came in from outside? Cat? Dog? Death?
As I peeked inside the cage asking if he was okay
I found Pancho hanging from his perch upside down
He must have been following chicken tacos in his dreams
And somehow....fell forward
And was just hanging there...upside down
Wings outstretched; talons clawing into the perch
Screeching (boy was he screeching)
And all the while his huge eye was scanning the ground
As I took this all in I couldn't help but laugh
(And laugh and laugh)
From his vantage point perhaps he thought he was high in a tree in the Amazon jungle
And he had a death grip on that perch
Perhaps imagining the horrors if he let go
Perhaps breaking his neck on the way down
Perhaps being eaten by the predators on the jungle floor
But from my vantage point
He was hanging upside down horrified
With his head just one inch from the bottom
I knelt beside the cage and spoke to him
"Pancho, let go"
The screeching died down a bit as I put my hand on the side of the cage
For a moment he looked towards my hand
"Let go" I said
And he started walking very slowly along his perch towards my hand
upside down
Occasional looks towards the unknown horrors lying below
(which just made me laugh more)
Pancho eventually reached the side of the cage
Cautiously reaching out a wary talon to the side wall
Cautiously reaching out a wary talon to the side wall
Until he righted himself on his perch
He stood there for a moment - feathers all ruffled - eye stuck in 'huge'
I stroked his head a bit and told him
"I told you all you had to do was let go"
~ ~ ~ ~
Supposing this is what the Universe, Great Spirit, God (whatever name you give it)
sees in me
Sees that I am still in a place that provides safety and comfort
Sees that nothing has changed other than my view point
The imagined horrors are nothing but imagined
Perhaps He is laughing and saying
"Just let go"
(as He roars with laughter)
~ ~ ~
So just for today try letting go of that which you fear
The worries, the anger, the perfection
What have you got to lose?
~ ~ ~
So just for today try letting go of that which you fear
The worries, the anger, the perfection
What have you got to lose?


I think I'm like Pancho, far too often!
ReplyDeleteThe story is hilarious, but there again, it's all the point of view.....
I must make God laugh a lot.
St. Peter, on the other hand, is quite sick of scribing my exploits..... ;-)
Great post!
XXOO~~
Anne
Pancho sounds like a delightful bird.
ReplyDeleteI was working through the fear lesson myself yesterday so this is good timing and a reminder to continue the work today.
ReplyDeleteHola Elena,
ReplyDeleteAnne and I were talking about you yesterday...I told her how much I love the print I won at OWOH...she told me you still were a bit unsure of your talent and you have loads!!
I can relate to Senor Pancho but life has a wonderful way of turning you upside down, putting your trust in something more powerful to help you change your point of view.
Great blog and I will make sure others read this. Have a great week and come on over to my blog now and then, if anything, for a good laugh!!
Siempre,
Georgina
Well behavior is a funny things...the way my daughter Stevie's birds behavior when scared is just as you described your feathered friend...he makes himself big and fluffs up the feathers and hang upside down...Sometimes thought he just wants some water as a bath...
ReplyDeletebut as for letting go...I'm finding out the letting go is about not having it my way...as of all the things that happen I hang on to my way I think it should be...when if fact there are many way for things to work themself out...the letting go of the grip is a false sense of safety...when really letting go is a short trip to a better way of seeing things...how hard it is to do it though having to trust in something besides yourself or some one as in your feathered friends case...
My favorite saying "Let Go and Let God".
ReplyDeleteMy bestie Georgina sent me here and I am so glad she did. We all need to hear this message from time to time. Poor Pancho...been there, done that and I'm always glad that the ultimate feather unruffler is there to calm me down as well. I will be glad to pass this along to others of the ruffled feather variety....just like me.
ReplyDeleteIt was my pleasure, mucho gusto, Linda
such a good writer
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing this great story! It is a good lesson for these times where everything is changing.
ReplyDeleteOkay, so this AND another post have been talking about letting go of fear/anger/whathaveyou, and I have been having these crazy dreams over and over with the same theme. Is the Universe trying to tell me something??? Yes, I think so. Thanks, babe!
ReplyDeleteI think you are a pretty awesome bird yourself ! ;-)
ReplyDeleteworking on it...
ps : do you know my friend Sherry ?
http://sherrysmyth.blogspot.com/
Elena, I'm so glad that Kim introduced us! This post just rings so deep within me and while the idea of letting go can be frightening, you've also pointed out the humour that can follow when we hang on too long!!! Glad to meet a kindred soul!! xo
ReplyDeleteAnother wonderful story and lesson, Elena! You had better start submitting these somewhere. I bought a book at a little book shop one time called "Hope for the Flowers" by Trina Paulus. You drawings and story reminds me so much of it. I have to show you! You are ready for this, Elena!
ReplyDeleteSuch a beautifully illustrated lesson - both verbally and with your quirky adorable Pancho sketches! So glad Anne sent me your way for this gentle and humorous reminder in letting go!! thank you :)
ReplyDeleteWonderful post I will certainly pass it along
ReplyDeleteJohnina :^A
Great images, both written and drawn. Wonderful philosophy.
ReplyDeleteelena, our mutual friend anne sent me here also and with good reason. i can just hear your voice, calm and confident, even through your amusement.
ReplyDeletethis is a well told fable, complete with illustrations. i'm glad i didn't miss it xo
♥
kj
Hi Elena, yes, this is a great story about parrots and about letting go. I may mention it with a link on my blog. Interestingly, yesterday I got a call from the woman who is matching me up with a homebound senior for me to visit and cheer up, and the woman asked me "are you allergic to birds" and I said no. The woman has a parrot. Small world of parrots and of letting go.
ReplyDeleteHi Elena, I did post a few minutes ago, on my own blog, with a link to this post of yours. Terra
ReplyDeleteI loved Pancho!! Although sometimes he scared me! What a beautiful story and lesson. As Audrey said above, my favorite saying is, "Let go and Heal".
ReplyDeleteI keep telling you sis/cuz, you are talented beyond what you can imagine. I agree that you can publish your stuff. If you don't, I'll take all your blog posts, edit, and publish it and make a ton of money for myself and then I'll go buy the cabin in Colorado!! love you dearly!!
Pancho sounds like he was a great friend. You helped him out of that ordeal and received a great message. I'm happy you passed it on!
ReplyDeleteXO,
Jane
Hi Alena,
ReplyDeleteI came over from Terra Garden. She told us about you and your parrot.
This is a wonderful story. Animals are closer to us than we think and their fears are just as great.
Thanks for reminding us that letting go is OK as long as you have trust and a good sense of direction.
Love the drawings of Pancho! He certainly sounds like a spunky character! I have to admit that the Lord has been teaching me to 'let go' of some things over the past few months. I can either trust Him and let go, or stubbornly hold on, trying to control things I was never meant to control. Letting go is the right thing to do! Have a blessed week!
ReplyDeleteI am visiting with you via Terra's blog. I really enjoyed this post. This is great advice!
ReplyDelete