My Mama went home last week
The doctor asked why she would return to an empty home if I could care for her full time
My Mama responded "because she does everything for me and I'm becoming weak"
And she's right
In life, unless challenged, we run the risk of becoming 'mush'
There's no reason to grow or become stronger
We don't know what we're capable of
~
She left my house barely able to walk up two garage steps
We stood at the bottom of 17 stairs in front of her home
and she climbed them without a problem
Her ankle is crooked, she has a torn rotator cuff, the c-diff is clearing
and to see her you wouldn't know it
112 lbs of determination
~
With a heavy heart I left her at her home
but it was totally worth seeing the reunion
between Mama and my furry sis (the dog)
And since my son is still with his dad
I figured this new found freedom would be glorious
Instead it's as if now that the adrenalin is gone
I've been plowed over by a train
I've only managed to take my Mama to doctor visits
and do 'post infection' cleanup at home
My brain feels disoriented
Hubby looks at me with eyebrow raised everytime I ask
What month is this? What day? What date?
~
Angrily, I lay with arm dangling off the couch yesterday
Staring at, but not watching, the tv
Thinking but not thinking
Can a brain be tired? Is that even possible?
Perhaps like a computer
the brain needs to be defragmented
Wondering if this is what my brain looks like right now
~
I'll bounce back
I always do
But for now, I go back to the elevator music playing in my brain


You know, Elena, I think it's perfectly understandable that your brain needs some time to catch up. You've been "on call" for weeks now with not much down time. Your brain is just finding it's own place again. Give it a day or two or three and you'll feel much better! Sending a big hug! Love, Silke
ReplyDeleteP.S. Love the pic of your mama and her dog!!!
Yup. Downtime. You need it for sure. Since you are stubborn and don't want to take it, your body and brain take over and take some downtime without your permission! I know the feeling well.
ReplyDeleteRest up my dear friend. Bask in the freedom to do nothing. Then you will be rested and do something. ;)
You are in a perfectly normal state of trying to readjust. I know precisely how you feel---it will pass.
ReplyDeleteI love that pic of your mama and your *furry sis*~~priceless!!!
I think things will be fine; it's just that life is bumpy when we least expect it.
XXOO~~
Anne
Be gentle with yourself as you come in for this landing. Going from 100 mph to 0 needs to be done gradually...
ReplyDeleteHUgs, Lovely One !
Yeah, been there, done that. Be gentle with yourself and do fun enjoyable things for a while. Glad your Mom triumphed over C Diff -- that's a biggie.
ReplyDeleteHi Elena
ReplyDeleteWhat you said about your Mama is so true. Years ago my Mother, in her 70´s moved from an upstairs and dowstairs with garden to a single level flat with no garden. We thought it would be easier for her and it was but having less to do whittled away at her physical wellbeni. No matter what age we are if we have no challenges or positive routines, no matter how soft or easy they may seem then it takes away from our overall wellbeing. And of course when we have lead a very busy life and we slow down briefly, it is like an express train coming to a sudden halt. All the energy we burned has to be "paid" for and rest at this time is most important for our own natural defenses are lower.
Great happy photograph.