I've had a great life
With the highs and lows all blending together like the secret ingredients
Of a specialized dish
And yet, there's always been the feeling that something is holding me back
Like I imagine those kids feel that wear the baby leashes
A feeling of, if I could only pull enough slack, I could reach further
Go, do, have...if only...
While my Mama was here I spent alot of time inside
I wandered and could feel that prickly sense of anticipation
Go, do, have...if only...
I assumed it was because I was caring for my Mama
~
Our washer died and off we went in search for a new one
Turns out there was a great deal on a washer and dryer
I wanted to know why
After hearing the explanation I said it was nothing other than their being red
They agreed
Funny thing is, the first time I saw these a year ago I thought WOW!
Now, here I was in a position to buy them and I wouldn't
Because they were red - Wild Cherry red
I thought to myself
"damn - if only..."
Then I stopped and feeling defiant I thought "why not?!"
Turning to face that which holds my leash in an attempt to pull more slack
Imagine my surprise when I find that nobody is holding my leash
Turns out I hold my leash
I wrapped it around myself to hold in my wings
I wrapped it so tight I thought someone was holding the other end
And although I'm sure at some point there was an anchor on the other end
The end just lies there loose on the ground
Funny thing is that this realization loosened the grips just enough
for me to buy the Wild Cherry washer
~
This realization also brought some clarity
Caring for my Mama wasn't holding me back
Having a baby 13 years ago wasn't holding me back
Getting married twice wasn't holding me back
Nothing, nobody but me
I used procrastination and fear and plain avoidance
To pad the loops that bound me to my leash
Did you know it's hard to fail
if you have something to blame for holding you back?
In an act of defiance towards self
I painted the white laundry room walls
my retinas were dilated for a week afterwards
It's been a couple weeks since
And each time I fall into the familiar rut of if only...
I play domestic goddess and do a load of laundry
something about being in that room loosens the grips a bit more
Probably the defiance
A peek at the real me that lies beneath the self-imposed binds
Got that?
S-E-L-F I-M-P-O-S-E-D
~
I had a teacher in college once who said I was talented
But that I was my worst critic and would hold myself back
~
I'm far from being a domesticated goddess
don't cook - clean because I have to
so I find it rather amusing that the Universe used a washer to deliver this message
Wild Cherry (washer) and Flaming Torch (paint)
rather fitting names for my new road signs, no?

Oh Elena!! I can't tell you how much I love this post!! AND I have washer/dryer envy!!! I have had the same thoughts many times--thinking my various life "situations" held me back but I know it's just ME!!! Somewhere deep down inside I have not been able to truly believe that I can be a resposible wife, mother, daughter AND be the artist I would like to be!! It seems that when life gets busy and hectic and something has to give I sacrifice my own desires/needs first. God forbid I don't come thru for someone else!!! But...I keep workin' on it!!! We are definitely works in progress!!! And, by the way, of course I will share yesterdays post with someone---sorry I forgot to respond to your e-mail!!! Now let's go make some ART!!
ReplyDeleteSo true Elena, AND I like the colors of your walls and machines.
ReplyDeleteHit the nail right smack on the head Baby!!!
ReplyDeleteAnd I am in utter *Laundry-Envy* at that washer/dryer combo and the wall paint.
DANG.
It's almost enough to make me drag my blah washer and dryer out the door, but I've had to fix the garage steps ONCE this morning.
Maybe I should wait....
Great post!
XXOO~~
Anne
such writing
ReplyDeleteYour crimson washer and golden paint are fabulous and I like how you discovered that you are holding the leash. Well done.
ReplyDeleteYou would like the hat (baseball cap) I bought last week, lime green with silver sparkles on it. I love sparkly accents which can add to the fun of life.
We are all our own worst enemy, it's true. I like your leash binding our wings analogy.
ReplyDeleteHahaha....Elena just go and hug the bloody washer if u still havn't..u know for knocking all the sense u talked in the post :D :D....U are right the only reins holding us back ever are our own...but t isn't easy to loosen 'em always...How I wish it was
ReplyDeleteLove those colors!! I am glad you are realizing you're your own worst critic--probably your only critic! You have a great fan base and you are a wonderful teacher sharing your wisdom. I, too, need to let go of that leash. I look at Willy when she wants to go for a walk so badly, she grabs the end of her own leash and goes in circles tangling herself up! A reflection of me. Wonderful, wonderful sharing!
ReplyDeleteLet loose with your srtist, creative side--paint your house with whatever you want. I can't believe you said your eyes were dilated after the pain job--those are the colors in my bedroom and I love them, love them, love them!! BTW, when you were here, did you notice the purple kitchen? How about the blue room where you slept? Jon's burgundy and moss green office? I love color--you love color--embrace your loves and let go of that leash!!
Hello. I have been away teaching so I missed connecting with you and others online. Love this post!! I have missed you and your down to earth, emotional rich and hopeful perspective. Life is good. Hugs Karen
ReplyDelete