When I shared my blog with my dear friend Lee, I laughed at her reply..."be as brave with your art as you are with your Harley". A simple, yet powerful, notion. She's right, I am brave on my bike. But it wasn't always like that. In an effort to kick my ego in its butte, I will admit this publicly. I dropped the bike during my first license test....and walked away vowing never to ride again. I was scared and imagined every worst case scenario imaginable. Then I got on again and I followed Lee on the streets. It's mesmerizing to watch her ride. She and her bike are one. It's like watching a ballet couple on stage; each reacting to the other's movements. I've seen her lean on curves where there are inches between her knee and the asphalt and in the blink of an eye she's leaned in the other direction. But even after I got my license and racked up the miles I always felt I wasn't good enough. I would argue with my ego that I had to be good enough because I was the one riding the bike and if I hadn't fallen apparently I was doing good. Then I went on some amazing rides where my bike muscles were strengthened and my ego was shut up for good. In Canada we rode around Lake Superior in downpours with the logging trucks on our heels. In Southern Illinois we rode in 100+ temps where the oil was bubbling up from the country roads. In Arizona we rode in the desert hills where the darkness engulfed us and critters howled. In Hawaii we rode the curvy Hana Hwy. And my muscles were built in the California mountains when we were caught in the Santa Ana winds. Literally what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. So what have I learned from my dear friend Lee? That I lack self-respect. I overthink and imagine horrible disasters before they occur. And when I give in to my ego telling me how bad I am, I quit. In AW, Cameron says "turn aside your dream and it will come back to you again". It does; each time more insistent than the last. This is my furthest attempt at pursuing my creative side. This blog is my attempt at confronting one of the imaginable fears; what will people say. And so I decided to post these feelings and my pictures. Both of which I've kept hidden as much as possible. My ego says "you'll be judged" "they'll lie to you" "you're not good enough" and my reply for now is...

"Just like my Harley, I'm in control of this ride...
get out of my way"
.....thanks Lee.
Woohoo! Well done Elena
ReplyDeleteWonderful! I keep hoping I'll have time and money for licensing and lessons! Maybe when I'm old and gray. Oops that's now!
ReplyDelete