The Unspoken
That dreaded alarm clock
Oh, how I hate that sound!
Why’s the announcer so damned happy
She has to leave to work again.
I could hear her softly in the dark
The “bloop” of the perculator
Carries the sweet smell of coffee beans.
I peek in at her, bent over coffee cup
Looking older and worn
What’s on her mind?
Does she wish she were far away?
In another land, in another life?
I wish I could take her there,
To the place where she’ll be safe
Where she won’t look so worried and tired.
She absently rubs the new bruise
Winces and takes another sip
I wish I could protect her; but I’m invisible –
There’s an unspoken understanding
That this is the way it needs to be.
Or so that officer led me to believe.
Evil thoughts race through my head
Will I go to hell for not honoring him?
But God must have a law for what she is going through every night
Or perhaps He doesn’t see or doesn’t care
I sigh and go back to bed
Who will raise me when he goes too far?
Hi Elena,
ReplyDeleteAre you a poet as well? This piece is fabulous. It has mystery and leaves out details, making the viewer fill in the blanks. As I read it, I got the shivers from head to toe.I know this is one of those universal poems we can all relate to. Sometimes in life events in general, to stay stuck is our greatest demise. To be full of love, not fear, a great motivator.
I write too, it helps me when I'm in stuck phase of art or to clarify what I am trying to convey when I paint.
I like your blog, it is diverse and keeps me interested.
Hi Bev! Thanks for stopping by and your very kind comment. Nope, not a poet. This and a couple others have spilled out when emotions overflow. Funny I never even liked poetry. BY the way, I do really like your blog. I find similarities in our paths.
ReplyDeleteLena, oh my--I love this poem. It is one that is in my heart and soul as well. A similar one that I have written. We both know who it is that is watching and we both know who we are watching, so many similarities. Are hearts are joined by the pain so deep that we have within us. We wonder why we are lost--I think it is just that we have so much stuffed away we can't find our true selves.
ReplyDeleteAnd I was looking for a quick read! Depths to explore...thank you!
ReplyDelete