
My son drew this flower a few months ago. I watched him with his little brow wrinkled in deep concentration as he penciled in what he saw. The wrinkles deepened as he grew frustrated and erased it over and over again. "I can't do it, I stink, I'm no good" he kept saying. I then recognized that my little guy was just like me. Is this what I taught him? Self-reproach, self-criticism, wrinkled-brows, gritted teeth? I told him to step back, take a deep breath, and just let his hand go. I told him the flower would appreciate whatever came out - it was just honored he saw something in it he wanted to capture. And he did. I don't think I like this power I have as a parent. Sure, I can screw myself up but yikes, he's like a little ball of clay. What if I screw up? Oh, wait, what was my advice to him? Step back, take a deep breath.....
Your son is a very talented artist, keep encouraging him. How old is he?
ReplyDeleteHe certainly has a wonderful eye and gift. He is like malleable clay, but he also loves you and respects you very much and he will understand when you tell him that he needs to believe in himself. Be honest and tell him that you are trying to believe in yourself and that is something you can do together. He will understand just as mine have understood and grown to be incredible, self-confident, competent men.
ReplyDeleteI see both my good traits and bad traits in my children. With three, it's quite interesting that they've each latched onto different traits...those that they admire.
ReplyDeleteWonderful job the both of you!
ReplyDelete