"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Friday, July 24, 2009

I'm back!

My son and I returned from our road trip exploring last night. It's hard to imagine it's only been a few days since I feel like we've been gone forever.

We drove into Milwaukee Monday and went to the Harley Davidson Museum. And although the bikes were amazing, I was more amazed by how far one creative idea (and moxy) can take you. They showed the footprint of the small shack where this all started and look at how big they are now. I'm sure Mr. Davidson and Mr. Harley had friends and neighbors who ridiculed them and whispered behind their backs. But they persisted through failures and successes.The feeling inside the museum is hard to describe. I've felt this feeling before when I've been inside an artist's studio. It's as if the air is charged with the creativity taking place.

We then took the ferry across Lake Michigan into Muskegon, Michigan. We drove North along the coast and stopped at small towns or beaches along the way. On the ferry I saw two bikes ride up to port. I was immediately drawn to the woman in the lead. Like my friend Lee, she had a HUGE smile and if I could see auras I bet hers was brilliant. I noticed her Arizona plates and so later used this to introduce myself. She was in her 60s and rode from Arizona to attend a school reunion in Michigan. We talked awhile and I told her my dream of riding cross country. She beamed, had some suggestions, and we went our separate ways.

In a small town we met a glass making artist with beautiful pendant jewelry. We spoke awhile and later my son actually stayed behind and bought me a pendant I had been admiring. It's the first time he's done that. I felt guilty for him spending his money on me but proud that he loved me enough to do so.

In South Haven we actually went in to a beauty salon. We were going to dye our hair. But decided it would take way too long and we had more exploring to do. In the car, we sang, talked, danced... or I did mostly while my son looked horrified. I told him we were out having fun and who cares what others thought. So he joined along then.

By the time we were on the road home I laughed as I took in the overall picture. I'm driving dancing to the rhythm coming from the electric guitar he bought on the road. The back seat contains one chipped Buddha fountain, a terracotta pot (of course), a recycled plastic rug in bright colors, a copper rain fountain, an amethyst stone, cooler, etc.. I told him that we should probably be riding in an old van covered with flowers ala Scooby Do.

Jazz and hubby were happy to see us. We were happy to be home. There was alot we had yet to do but there'll be other trips. But mostly I enjoyed the time with my son. We had alot of crazy fun.....and we should have dyed our hair.

5 comments:

  1. What no bells?!?!?!!!!!!!
    Welcome home

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suz, I looked high and low for a necklace like yours or that atleast made a sound. No luck!! I wonder if people would think me odd if I just walked around saying "bling bling" every few minutes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful time you had with your son! What a nice thing to do! You made some memories you both will never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  4. those big statues of buddha always make me feel really good. I like sitting next to the one in the art institute.

    this makes me want to clean my room so I can display my cool treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What wonderful memories to cherish. Thank you for sharing them here. I feel as if I went to Michigan with you. (I was born there, by the way, north of Flint).
    Isn't it fun to meet new people and share words with them. Even if you never see them again, you exchange a piece of each other's heart (and affirmation you're on the right path).
    We used to have an volkswagon van. In my free-spirited "hippie" days. Didn't paint flowers on it though, but loved singing beatles tunes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!