It turned out to be a great day. The bugs and weather cooperated and behaved and everyone found something worthy of drawing. But I couldn't draw; I was too pumped and couldn't concentrate. My intent was to post this and say I don't like it. But I'm trying to be more positive. So, it's not my favorite but I learned something. I shouldn't sit right in front of something because the result is a flat drawing. There is no depth to the candle holder. And I can't draw if I'm not focused. And I'm learning new pen techniques. Arranged in a circle during the critique reminded me of the tribal elders. I mean no disrespect in referring to this group of women as the elders. I mean the more experienced artists who form a community, or tribe, that is meant to inspire and teach. There is quiet strength in each of these women. It extends beyond their physical self into their auras. To watch them draw or paint is watching a communion between the person and nature.
So, the tribal elders blessed my land today. A little bit of each has been left behind as I see the yard through their interpretations.

Your drawing was a gem! Your technique is fabulous..watery inky background...that blue is like a gemstone...and so your color. Your home and your garden are beautiful. They are a nice bunch of women,aren't they?
ReplyDeleteWell well lady, you sure have a beautiful yard and what a wondeful time yesterday. About the Elders thing, I believe that is the most respectful way to say it. the ones that have walked before us are there to share there lifes experiences and whom better to learn from. Now I see in Aprils, photos on her blog there was a Giraffe somewhere, is that in you back yard too? How special is that??? So cool lady
ReplyDeleteThanks both for your comments. The giraffe is so special. I walked into a clearance booth in New Buffalo and saw his head. His legs were in another corner. He was sawed in half and had chips and splits in the wood. I felt so badly for him so I brought him to live with my imperfect little family. He looks so happy standing in the woods. And he loved his job as art model yesterday.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great treat! Wish I could have been there. It was wonderful of you to open your yard to a group of artists. I love that you chose to put bright color only on the lantern in your painting. It really is quite wonderful.
ReplyDeleteWe had such an enjoyable time at your home. Thanks for allowing us to come and draw and paint!! There was so much to see in the back yard and the part with the paths through the trees and wild flowers mixed with perenials was fascinating!! I need to gt my photos printed and finish up my painting. ANd I agree with Sue, your piece was wonderful. Thanks again!!
ReplyDeleteWe were the ones who were blessed to come into your home and garden. It is so comfortable and you make it so. Loved everything! And your drawing is a wonderful little treasure! I love the beautiful blue and I love the washy effect you gave it. It was a memorable day and you are a wonderful hostess!
ReplyDeleteThank you all. You are always welcome to return of course to either finish or start new projects.
ReplyDeleteWish I could have come. Nice big group blessing your land with their creative love. Neat!. Love the
ReplyDeleteblue of candleholder, watercolor? I definitely see you have a definite style all your own. And I see depth as the flowers look a little blurred. Ah, creativity is such a learning process, that's what makes it such a joy. Hm, maybe I'll come visit you sometime, looks like a hermitage in and of itself. Giraffes roaming around, my inner child would squeal with delight about that!
Bev
So glad it all turned out better than you allowed yourself to hope for. A giraffe is great! Someday I hope to have more secrets in my garden.
ReplyDelete