I never believed in fairy tales or happy endings although I did enjoy reading the kids books but mainly for the pictures. But I had one fantasy that would lull me to sleep at night. My mom and I would watch spanish movies and I LOVED the ones with the charros (Mexican horsemen) wearing their traditional clothing and hats serenading the women. They just looked so cool and I would daydream that a charro would think me pretty enough that he would bring all the mariachis (Mexican musicians) to my window and sing. I would then imagine me on a horse in the traditional clothing and I would look so cool! I grew up listening to these songs and singing them at the top of my lungs to my mom who patiently listened and smiled. Everyone knew of my love for these charros and mariachis. I wished over and over that I had been born in Mexico where I could be one.And so, if I had a time machine there are so many things I would revisit. But for this one trip here's where I would go. I would wish to relive one moment in time where I totally, royally, absolutely SCREWED UP! I was 22 when my dad took my sister and I to visit his family in Mexico. They were having a festival and the town square was booming with people and horses and mariachis. We squeezed through the crowd and parked ourselves at the edge of the circle so we could see the horses as they came down the road. I was on cloud 9 (or higher)! The mariachis were singing, people were dancing, and the charros were coming down the road. I could feel my heart pounding with excitement until the charros came straight towards my sister and I - then my heart stopped. The charros stopped right in front of me, one had his horse bend a knee, he leaned over, looked in my eyes and asked what song should he have the mariachis play for me. FOR ME! The moment I had dreamed of for so long! Was right before me! So I opened my mouth.......and nothing came out. My sister nudged me and said "Lena, you know so many songs, answer him." I stood there, like an idiot with my mouth open. He smiled, stood up, tipped his hat, and trotted away. UGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Stupid, stupid, stupid!
And so, my time machine would take me back to this moment in time over and over again. I would stand behind the me then and give myself a swift kick in the butte....and chase that charro.
My lesson: Grab onto every opportunity....or I may regret it later.
And boy do I regret it!
Oh but he did come right in front of you and that's still got your heart stopping doesn't it. But good lesson to remember for now take it while it in front of you right!!
ReplyDelete~v~Laura
Boy, do I have a lot to catch up on! Miss talking to you Elena. See you soon!
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful remembrance... even screwed up, sounds like a dream to good to be real!
ReplyDelete