The weather is finally warm and sunny
The winds blew through the budding trees
And the roads busy with happy bikers
But I couldn't feel the sun's rays or the caress of the warm winds
On my side of the hospital window
Seeing the world through a literal pane of glass
The past few days my Mama's health declined
Took her to the emergency room Saturday morning
Stayed by her side as they ran tests trying to find the cause
Being nourished only by the i.v. fluids
Standing guard making sure they're careful with the broken leg
The torn rotator cuff
I wouldn't leave her side
I was awed by the conversations we were having
Her eyes are mostly closed but open for longer periods each day
But she's not asleep; she'll talk and joke occasionally
She hears everything going on in the room
As I sit there she'll say "huh, strangest thing, I just saw my brothers and your dad"
Then she'll laugh and say "They look better than when they died"
She'll say, "I just saw these beautiful blue sparkling lights
and a floating white 'cap' was placed on my shoulder" and her shoulder feels better
She'll open her eyes and we'll discuss what she saw
She'll say she heard me talking but wanted to see what happened
in the vision behind her eyelids
Then she'll ask "Is this what you see when you meditate?"
It was quiet for a while; I thought she was asleep
As I tiptoed across the room she said
in an oddly raspy serious tone
"In life we need to be aware of the path we travel
We need to pay attention to the things that trip us up"
"Explain" I said. Curious if she was asleep or awake.
She repeated the sentence.
I said "Yes, we do. Ma, I've learned that the rough patches are what forms us"
"It's like planting a young tree. If you protect it too much
it won't withstand the first strong storm"
it won't withstand the first strong storm"
"Yes", she said with her eyes closed "Like that"
She said "What's happening to me now, is one of those moments"
And you're tangled up in this because you're supposed to learn something"
I smiled
Glancing to the left out the hospital window at life outside
Glancing to the right at my Mama and the glimpse to the world on the other side
Antevasin
I'm in between
Antevasin
I'm in between
I'm seeing the world through a figurative pane of glass
~ ~ ~
I kiss her goodbye
she smiles and says she hasn't seen Carlos yet
My brother who died
I tell her it's not time
As she closes her eyes again I walk into the hall and turn back
"Hey, you can visit them but don't stay", I say
She gives me a smirk and a thumbs up
Elena, I'm so sorry about your mom. Sounds like you two are having warm and deep conversations. Thinking of you and sending healing thoughts to your mom. ::hugs::
ReplyDeleteI hope they figure out your Mom's issue soon.
ReplyDeleteI am crying now, because I don't want her to stay visiting, I want her to come back. She can visit her brothers, but just so they can heal her. I don't think it is her time yet and I don't want it to be her time. I know I'm being selfish, but she is such an incredible woman who means the world to me. Maybe I'm being too scared right now. I think this is very precious time for you two and I think you should soak in every second you can get. The wisdom and the acceptance being exchanged is very important. You are an open vessel, looking through the glass, seeing both sides. Let your mom fill you with her wisdom--it is part of your growth. My tia needs to say what she is saying because it is what will lead to her healing and salvation. Whatever God decides for her, she is processing that and it may be your glimpse into something few people get to see. I know this is difficult and I wish I could be there to hold you and reflect with you. I am here, think of me hard, I am there. Whatever you need, let me know. I am sending you the biggest hug and I am wiping your tears as you wipe mine. Sister/cousins always in love.
ReplyDeleteElena, what an amazing story and your Mama, well what a woman she is. She sees things much clearer in her sick bed than most of us do at any time. It is at times like this that we start to question things, however your Mama gave you a message and they do not come much more direct than this. She is on the "mend" now.
ReplyDeleteI'm reading, listening and following...stories are the teaching tools of our elders..best be listening now, wisdom is coming.. she's in her north of her life and what a beautiful place that is. good healing thoughts for her today Elena... good thoughts.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry to hear about your mom taking a turn for the worse!!! I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers and try to send her healing energy. What an amazing experience for you---incredible conversations to digest. It may take a long time for some of it to be understood with clarity but you will. I am holding you both in my heart!!!
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear about your Mom. It is a good thing that you are writing down her words of wisdom so that you have something to look back on and have fond memories of her wisdom. Praying for you both.
ReplyDeleteOy Vay. Not the news I was expecting. Poor Mama. Do they know what's causing her backwards step? Perhaps she just needs some rest and down time. Seems as if she is processing and working on things herself. Now I know where you get all of your insight and curiosity. Giant hugs to you and your mama. Hope she's feeling better at lightening speed. Sending love and light her way.
ReplyDeleteOh, dearest Elena, I am so sorry to hear your mama isn't doing so well. Although in her spirit she sounds amazing. As do you, my friend! I am sure she is taken care of well in the hospital and I will add my healing energy to theirs and yours! Your mom sounds like an amazing person!! Sending lots of love and healing!! Silke
ReplyDeleteah, sweetie, you are documenting this part of your journey with your mom so poignantly and beautifully...I am sorry for the hard burden on your heart but so grateful for the love lessons you are being filled back up with. Sending prayers, light and love.
ReplyDelete