(view out hospital window - not sure what the white and grey shadows are
since there are no trees outside and the sky was a solid grey)
Please understand I mean no disrespect to my Mama
when I say that illness is intriguing
It has a way of stripping aside all the masks we wear
And leaving our true nature's exposed
And this is by no means an egotistical remark
When I say I have discovered that the mask I hide behind
Is one of 'not enough'
For so long I have worn the masks of
'too sensitive' 'too weak ' 'too inexperienced'
That they somehow fused to my true self until I believed them to be true
Illness has a way of making those masks fall away
And we're left standing looking at Truth
Those I looked up to as strong; those I wished to be like
Are suddenly left without their masks and I see Fear
Or I should say I see fear on their retreating figures
And I find myself a bit uncomfortable when I see the strength I truly AM
Illness magnifies the senses
I've seen Fear magnify in my brother and sister
But my sister hasn't let it keep her away
My brother hid; until I reached out and told him this is not the time
I made him take the night shift last night
I think it'll be good for him to confront his Fear of losing Mama
Illness has magnified my sixth sense
I think that's why I had the rare gift of being able to experience
what my Mama was experiencing
And I've noticed that since my little bout of anger the other day
There's a new relationship with the doctors
One of mutual respect
But yesterday
After being there for 24 hours with a two hour interrupted nap
My uncle and aunt arrived with a couple cousins
I had to stand and get the brunt of the tongue lashing
Accusing me of being at fault
For putting my Mama in rehab then taking her so far away
from family and friends
I tried to explain I didn't do either
They stated she is not leaving with me
And I took it
And wanted to cry
On the drive home I fought to stay awake
Wondering why their words hurt so much
And I realized it's because I was so tired
Then I laughed
Remembering that this is the group I spoke about
When I said I didn't want them to visit my home
Because they delighted in calling me fat
It's just their Fear talking
As their masks fell away
~
When I arrived Friday morning
my Mama looked horrible and my sister near tears
My Mama had asked that we summon her siblings
Said it was her time
I went to the hall and cried a bit and my final masks fell away
I came in and as gently as possible chastised my Mama
"You are giving up" I said "No amount of medicine will help if you give up"
Turns out a doc had said it was in her blood
I couldn't figure out how
So I consulted with the specialists who looking confused
said no way
I had them tell her in Spanish that it was not; and I saw hope in her eyes
I told them that having heard the other doc say it was in her blood
had made her quit
They told her to fight
Yesterday she looked a bit better
Some swelling has gone down; some pain has receded
You hear that words and thoughts have power
I have seen the truth in that statement
~ ~
I honestly don't know if she'll make it
She's 83 and weak
The infection has resisted one antibiotic
And they've introduced a new one which seems to be working
Time will tell I suppose
But This, right now,
This moment is true fertile ground.
I honestly don't know if she'll make it
She's 83 and weak
The infection has resisted one antibiotic
And they've introduced a new one which seems to be working
Time will tell I suppose
But This, right now,
This moment is true fertile ground.

Dearest Elena,
ReplyDeleteThis moment is not just fertile ground, but it is truly holy! That you get to witness this time with your mama and your family, that you get to feel what your mama feels, that you get to see how everyone deals with fear in different ways, how you are discovering your own strength, and your Mama's even though her body is weakened.
I will keep doing my remote healing on all of you!
Sending much love and light! Silke
Elena you are so eloquent
ReplyDeletethis was truly moving
and yes..I think you have made an inner shift
This Cdif is nasty, but you can recover from it
sometimes it takes months and months
and by all means
keep those crazy maker sappers away from you
You are doing a superb job
whatever comes out of their mouths
reject
you know the truth
brave sister I pray for you
and your mama
for strength....
Perhaps this is what the ancients would call a holy moment. An opening to something greater which is difficult to divine. Some react with fear, others with love and understanding and grow from the experience. It vey much depends what is in your heart!
ReplyDeleteWell done Elena.
Your words and strength are beautiful. Thanks for sharing them. I pray for you and your family during this time.
ReplyDeleteYes, it is their fear that is leading thenm to try and hurt you, Beautiful One. That you know that already is such a miracle to me.
ReplyDeleteSending continued light and love to you as you go through this ground...
Hi Elena, I came to your blog late after you visited mine over a week ago. Your words and experiences are quite moving and really hit home with me. Illness definetly tears the masks away. Its a strong person who can see and learn while in the midst of the tearing. I'm sending love and healing to your mom.
ReplyDelete-Brandy
Oh Elena. A hard post to read.
ReplyDeleteYou know, for all of your talk of your mother since your blog started, I never realized she was 83! I'm not sure if you posted her age before and I overlooked it, but every time I read about her she sounds so spry and spunky and young!!! Her spirit must have came out in the stories rather than her genealogical age.
I'm upset to read how your family treated you and questioned you. Who are they to judge? Where were they when decisions needed to be made and do they not give your mother any credit for having opinions herself? Sorry. I guess I'm getting defensive for you, but you DO NOT deserve that kind of treatment! That being said, I think you handled it very well. Most likely better than I would have!
You and your mother seem to be on quite the path here together. It is wonderful that you are both open and observing and learning. I am praying that she is not in pain and that she continues to feel peaceful. I have not sensed (out of what I've read) that she is fearful or upset. She seems strong and wise.
I guess I'm out of words to say except to let you know I am still praying and thinking about both of you. Hope you can feel the extra love in the room because I'm sending an extra couple doses today.
Hugs
Hi Elena. Thinking of you and sending healing prayers to your Mom. Beautiful post. You seem to be getting stronger with this journey, I wish you nothing but the best. Prayers to your momma and you.
ReplyDeleteAho!
ReplyDeleteOh Elena - I haven't been reading and I'm so sorry to hear what your mom is going through...and you. Your posts are beautiful, as always. A lesson to us all. You know we are all with you; you are a wonderful and caring daughter. Thinking of you and keeping you and mama in my prayers. We love you...
ReplyDeleteHey, sorry I've been vacant, still too much on my plate. Been sending healing Momma's way and strength to you. Don't forget it's all about LOVE, even when people hurting cast blame. More strength and healing coming.
ReplyDeletesweet elena...
ReplyDeletethinking of you and praying for your mom.....xoxo
Hi Elena,
ReplyDeleteCatching up with your posts here about you and your mamma. So much I can relate to with your words. You and her together, she sharing so much, you sharing back, maybe this is what the Universe wants for you both. The rest of the family well everyone probably feels somewhat helpless and they have their defenses up, as a way of coping. Not that I'm supporting them, just that I've been there with my siblings giving me grief when I took care of my Dad. A lesson for you, friend, this life experience. Stay strong, your words here are so touching!
Love Bev