"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Lost Soul?

The problem with self-discovery is that eventually you uncover something
you don't want to see
Something I'd rather bury like a cat in a litter box
But if hard times contain valuable experiences, those 'golden nugget' moments
Then what do the ugly moments hold?

I'm physically tired but now my soul is weary
I put everything I had in making sure my Mama wouldn't give up
That I think my soul left; I feel empty

And in its place was left an unfamiliar ugliness
My Mama seems to be winning the battle against the infection
She is more alert and funny
There are still some problems but I feel those are minor fires to be put out
And I am thrilled and relieved to see that it is enough to inspire her to keep the fight

Instead of relishing in the thrill that she will soon be home
Ugliness made its presence know
It whispered that I will need to change diapers and make pureed foods
that make my stomach turn
It whispered that I will not sleep as I listen for breathing changes or a faint call
It whispered of cleaning rituals and medicines and doctor visits
It whispered that I will be responsible and there is no nurse call bell
And in a maniacal laugh it said I'll do this 24 hours a day for 7 days
And I felt myself pushed backwards into a dark dank well
Where the last sound I heard was the shackle clamped around my ankle

Praying that she continue improving all while shouting to the ugliness to shut up
I hang my head; I am ashamed
Saturday I left my brother and sis in charge to wait for the doc
Telling them I was finally going home to eat and enjoy the warmth
Fully intending to jump on the motorcycle; instead I lay on the couch
with a blanket on my head and slept with dreams of running away
When hubby came home from work in the evening he wanted to vent
Instead I replied, quit whining
When son called from his dad's house I told him to stay longer and quit whining
I just wanted to be left alone
And I was ashamed

The well seemed deeper
I could hardly make out the light way up high
And the ugliness whispered
That everyone else gets a break at work; they don't have the responsibility
They can drop by for a visit and it makes them feel they've contributed
But once they feel uncomfortable, they can drive away
And I started feeling bitter
And I am ashamed

And I desperately tried to find a foothold
Feeling around the well's walls all I find is sliminess
Every night I dream of jumping off a cliff and it feels wonderful
It feels freeing
And by day I walk around with a lump in my throat
I don't understand and I am ashamed

In a tiny glimmer of light that lit the walls within my well
I saw the voice
And discovered it was Ego all along
It had grown so large that I almost didn't notice Fear lurking behind it
They've taken up so much room at the bottom of the well I hardly fit
I don't know where my Soul went; perhaps I can't see it in this light

But awareness is always key
I know what's in the well with me now
And I'll be still for a moment as I try to figure my way out
I thought of not sharing the ugliness
But doing so shines more light on it
And perhaps will coax my Soul out of hiding
And uncover the most valuable lesson of all

Because ultimately this is for my Mama
and not about me at all
Because in most good movies Love triumphs over evil
And it's all I've got right now

~ ~
But in case you see my Soul wandering about
could you please send it home

11 comments:

  1. Elena, you are courageous as usual to share your thoughts---the good, the bad and the ugly. You have every right to feel every ugly feeling and think every ugly thought!! Because you are human and it is NATURAL to feel the way you do!!! I know that I would be going thru the same thing if I were in your position. I often say that I am glad that my mom wasn't sick for a long time and didn't have to suffer for a long time and that's true----but what's also true, if I am honest is that I am glad that I didn't have to WATCH her be sick and suffer!! And also, this role reversal of child taking care of mother----it just feels un-natural!!! It's a huge shift and it's HARD!! But you know what?? Maybe it's just as hard for your mama as it is for you!! But since she is the one who is ill she has no choice but to depend on you and others. And everything you are doing, no matter how HARD---you are doing it out of LOVE!!! Sending you much LOVE and keeping you both in my prayers!! Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing. I've gone through this ugliness before, too. The resentment and bitterness makes you feel like the worst person in the world. But, you are right. Being aware of it is the first step, and talking about it shines a light on it. You're so strong. I know you can do this. If I see your soul, I'll send her home, for sure. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's better and healthier to acknowledge things than be in denial. 24/7 nursing care is doable in the short term only. If your Mom is going to need that on a long term or permanent basis, you and your siblings need to look at a nursing home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Elena,

    You know, we have all had our dance with that ugliness, with our ego telling us all those things that shame us... It's so normal and it happens when we are tired and drained and see no moment ahead where we can just be - without responsibility! You are doing extremely well and you'll find your true voice again in no time at all! One thing I know for sure - our soul never leaves us, it just waits patiently in the wings until we are done with our little tantrums. Remember that you cannot get it wrong! Ever!! And together - you and your mama will infuse even this trying situation with humor and love!

    Much love!! Silke

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your soul is resting. This is good. It is quiet. This is also good. Do not let fear and shame cover the good of your resting soul. You went home and rested and that's what you needed. Fear is a useless emotion that does more harm than good. Take it from someone who sits with fear often. Do not be ashamed. You have nothing to be ashamed of. You are having logical, normal reactions to what lies ahead. Logic is in the physical sense. Your physical being is preparing for what's to come. Your heart knows what to do if you allow it to step forward. Put the love in front of the logic and you can conquer anything. Diapers and pureed food. Not fun. I understand your reaction and would be having the same. Should that cause shame in me? Nope. Just the acknowledgement that it's certainly not the part to look forward to. Now push that aside and pull the good part forward. Examine the relationship with your mother. The blessings of her healing. The lessons you are unearthing.
    All good.
    Allow your soul the chance to rest and refill without judgement. Open it wide, fill with light and love.
    You're doing awesome! Look at all you have done! All you have learned! Look at you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your writing through the course of all this difficulty is truly phenomenal. You have a gift of sharing. You could write a book! Putting feelings, words, thoughts to page seems to be another one of your many artistic gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elena, this is very eloquently written, and I can see you write from the heart, and from exhaustion. Will family rally round? Your spirit is so good, I know you will persevere. Your care is a blessing for your mama.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an illuminating post Elena. It is okay to be afraid because it is born of uncertainty, it is not the same as being controlled by fear. Remember you are a being of light against which the darkness cannot win, you don´t have to try, just be you, after all that is who your Mom loves.

    Bravery is not about not feeling fear, of not being afraid, on the contrary it is about having these feelings, recognising them and then rising above themand doing what is right. It is not easy.

    ps your soul is there watching and waiting for your physical mind to decide...............

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi there - i'm new to your blog. but wanted to share this with you. yesterday i was having one of those rare profound conversations that we have - with my daughter. she was telling me about a dream she had. in her dream she was taken along with her sister to a place between heaven and hell. there she was shown many different things, but the main message was that life is about feeling - the bad, the ugly, the painful and yes, the joy, the good and beautiful. we had a discussion about how life often involves suffering and it is through that, that we learn about our selfs. we decided that it is the suffering that we are really meant to do well whilst we are here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My dear,dear sis/cuz--close your eyes and feel me holding you in my arms where you can cry, sigh, laugh, or just be supported. Call me whenever you need, honestly, please; I'm here. Nacherluver is very correct, I think, in saying your soul is resting. I agree that your soul never leaves you. You are your soul and you are doing all that you can to help your mama. You are a loving, compassionate person who is always there for all. Set boundaries and honor them. You need to care for yourself so you can care for your mom. Demand help from your sibs--she's their mom as well! If you need help talking to the sibs, I will ask my mom for help. In the meantime, I'm here for you, just call me!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. One is never lost just swaying from this side to that side..Your Ok.. your enough and your good...take that ride soon as the clouds let up...heck ride it in the rain a little bit just to feel life all around you..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!