I know I'm repeating this story
Sitting with my two girlfriends during a teen summer evening
I listened as they woefully recounted
the bad treatment from the latest boyfriend
I've always been too blunt for my own good
Not purposely; I mean no harm; just speak the truth as I see it
I told them if they were tired of being treated like crap to stop what they were doing
They turned and stared, not understanding
I told them that in both cases they had only known the guy for a week or two
Already they were buying the guys clothing, jewelry, blankets, pillows
And in both cases they knew those guys were already in relationships
"But they're so nice to me", was the standard response
"I would be too if you were giving me stuff"
Glancing at their stunned faces, I closed my mouth, hoping they got it
Instead they both turned to me and said almost in unison
"You don't understand because you've always been skinny"
What? What the heck does my weight have to do with anything?
I was told I could have anyone I wanted
I told them they were full of crap
"Change the type of guy you go after; change the pattern", I countered
Patterns
Not the pretty repeated designs
but those recurrent ways of behavior
When I was young I used to read about the risk of patterned behavior
I worried that being exposed to alcoholism, child, domestic and sexual abuse
meant I was doomed from the start
the secrecy taught me shame and a desperate need to stay below the radar
so as not to be noticed
Any desire to leave the neighborhood was met with peer disapproval
I was given to understand that I should stay and repeat the pattern
whatever we were born into was the way
I went so far as picking an abusive boyfriend
who like his dad enjoyed belittling; and I thought it was normal
The first (and only) time he slapped me I figured I'd take it
Instead I lashed back
It was enough to teach me that I didn't have to follow any patterns
I was free to be whatever I wanted to be
Going back home to visit my Mama
One look at the faces of the little gangbangers
One look at the faces of the little gangbangers
or the girls with the young kids
or the bowed solemn faces of the wives keeping secrets
Reminds me of the stronghold patterns have
Reminds me of the stronghold patterns have
~ ~
Frustrated with my boobs and muffin top competing for the same space on my body
I decided to focus on my weight
It lasted two days
Instead of chastising myself I took a good hard look
I was repeating a pattern
Not just a failed weightloss attempt but one that deals with avoidance
A "hush keep quiet, look the other way, don't make waves" type of pattern
A "don't fail because you'll get the crap kicked out of you" type of pattern
turns out I apply this pattern to everything I do
artistic endeavors, weightloss, cooking
I can't fail, I might be noticed
and just like I was able to see the silliness in my girlfriends' behavior
I suddenly saw the silliness in mine
I have failed before and didn't get the world's attention
I blurt everything to y'all and I haven't spontaneously combusted
So I say to myself
"Change the pattern"
Because some patterns can be detrimental to growth
They sneak around and encourage excuses and justifications
They sneak around and encourage excuses and justifications
Changing is going to be extremely difficult
It's something I've been doing subconsciously for 43 (almost 44) years
but a gut feeling tells me if I can get control of it
it's going to be as if a damn burst
just like the rousing I received with that first slap
I can see this leading to me stepping out of my own way
For now I have to acknowledge that I need structure
to keep me aware of my habits
to keep me aware of my habits
and need to make a daily list of things to do
so I don't fall into the avoidance pattern of 'all is good, don't make waves'
Hi Elena, remember you can only ever do you best and always do your best to enjoy the journey. You are a beautiful being! Smile:)
ReplyDeleteExcellent observation and self-analysis. I see another cartoon here. I hope you are hanging those for yourself as reminders. You could make a cartoon board. Add this one. Put a huge word (REMINDERS) on the top with all the cartoons below. Read them daily. You are doing great work. Excellent growth work. Bravo!
ReplyDeleteExcellent! Yes, I see another mini book here!
ReplyDeletePatterns/habits (especially those instilled in us from birth) are the HARDEST THING TO BREAK.
ReplyDeleteI always liken it to someone going off alcohol or a drug addiction~~it is part of us.
So first we have to accept and acknowledge it, see what is causing it, then LOVE OURSELVES AS WE ARE, and that will help in the motivation for change.
Can't do it for someone else.
Can't do it for guilt.
Can't do it *just because the Doctor says so*.
It has to come from a self-value deep within that says, yes, I am well worth this effort, and I will allow ample time to do what I need to.
And I know there are friends who will support me, but ultimately, at the end of the day, it is ME that I am responsible for.
(Anne talking to Anne.....)
Hey, it will work for you too Feisty Elena!!! :-D
XXOO~~
Anne
Good for you and good luck!
ReplyDeleteElena this is right on target and so clear...you see it, now be patient with yourself...because just being aware is already a change in the pattern, writing it out and giving voice to what you know is a change in the pattern...you are doing it...you are freeing yourself with each observation and word. Good for you!!!
ReplyDeletethanks so much for all of you love and support on my blog and fb...it means so much!
I have struggled with destructive patterns my whole life all circling around relying on the approval of others for my self-esteem, fear that I won't get the approval, guilt for...well, anything and everything. I have been apologizing for my own existence for too long. I've made some small changes, and now it's time to break out for good. We can do it! Hugs
ReplyDelete