"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

My Dog told me....

My fur-babies, Jazz and Sparky, are both shelter dogs
Jazz is 3 and weighs 86 lbs
Sparky is 1 and weighs 43 lbs
both are Lab mixes, both have webbed toes
both are afraid of the water

When walking them on the leash in public
Jazz can be pretty intimidating
Her size, the muscles writhing beneath the skin, and deep throated growl
the look on her face, the set of her jaw
as she pulls towards whatever caught her attention
is enough to make my skin crawl

Sometimes she accidentally pulls out of her collar
in a panic, I think she's going to attack
and instead she turns to look at me with a look of total fear
and runs to hide behind my legs
as in "What?! Are you crazy woman! Why did you let me go?!"
As soon as I slip the collar back on she steps ahead
and resumes her position of intimidation
She's all talk
(but shhhh, don't tell her that, she's my brave girl)


And last night a thought crossed my head
Pets behave like their owners
And I'm like Jazz
~

When I was working I used to dream of being free
Having to get ready for a 1.5 hr commute one way
Made me want to scream
Knowing that I loved my job but hated the idiots, just made it worse
And knowing that after a bad day I still had that commute
and a bag full of homework and more meetings made me want to run away

I used the commute time to dream
to dream that if I were free I would...
learn to paint, learn to draw
travel wherever I wanted
spend time with my family
explore
read, read, read
ride my motorcycle everywhere
(it's probably what Jazz thinks as she pulls 'if I didn't have this collar I would...) 

And during an episode of pure rage
(not being dramatic I truly was 'spit-fire mad')
I threw down my papers during a meeting with the boss
told him I quit and when he said I couldn't
I said watch me and stomped out
(ok, it was dramatic...but oh so satisfying when I called them glorified 'bleep')

So I was free of my collar
And like Jazz I ran and hid
behind the legs of Ms. Justification
She's so cool; she protects me from the dangers that lie ahead
She reaches down and pats my fearful head and says
"It's ok honey, you can't do those things because...
.... you have lots of time but not enough money"
... you aren't smart enough"
.... you aren't talented enough"
.... you're too old to change now"
... you don't have time for playing you need to clean"
... you should be ashamed you're mooching off the hubby"
...poor hubby"
.... you should behave, you're a mom, act your age"
.... you can't do that"
and I look up at her grateful for the protection and a place to hide
and thinking it's the answer to my fears I look at the Help Wanted ads
craving the protection of a 'career collar'
because then I won't need Ms. Justification
I'll have Ms. Career who can tell me I can't do those things because there's no time
vicious circle

one I didn't know I was in
Until laughing at Jazz' antics and realizing I was laughing at my own
~
Great awareness as I begin reading the Artist's Way by Julia Cameron
awareness is key

8 comments:

  1. Awareness is the key. Yes. Awareness and compassionate love for self, I think.
    Working on those topics myself right now...
    Hugs, Incredible One.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me thinks you need a shock collar! Every time you have one of those dreadful self-talk sessions, you'll get a jolt that will bring you back to attention where you will play and create and know you're worthy.

    And if you really think our pets are like us... boy am I in trouble! You should meet my cat!

    Ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!

    Very good self-awareness. Great post. Perhaps the stronger you get in your 'self' and the less fearful you become, the security and confidence will travel down the leash and that energy will pass over into your darling Jazz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll love The Artist's Way! It's a great book and guide for the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When ever we slip out of *the collar*, life gets really interesting.....(good and bad)
    It is selecting the good and giving the bad a name and telling it to go away, nope, no time now, later, you whine....
    We all have that inner demon-critic that JUST WON'T SHUT UP.
    But then I talk a lot so it's only occasionally that it gets a good jab in anymore.
    Of course, this summer it worked overtime and now I am pummeling it to pemmican...you know what I mean.
    You've got it ALL; let yourself access it bit by bit.
    No leash.
    ;-D

    XXOO~~
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the new banner and blog look. Hugs Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. We accumulate anchors as we go through life, some good, some not so good. An anchor though is an anchor and stops us from moving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dogs are great, they don't need a pedigree to teach us lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Elena amazing awareness...my dog and kids teach me a lot too. I often find that the things they do or say that upset me (um the kids, the dog isn't a big talker) are really reflections of things that I do or say (or at least think)...and suddenly I see a pattern, like you did, and an opportunity for growth and change that I hadn't recognized until just that moment.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!