A Vacation Tale: The Woods
Evenings at the dinner table, my gaze would fall upon the window
My son would ask "what are you looking at it's creeping me out"
"That path out there, something odd about it," I'd say
Feeling that prickly feeling of something looking back, I'd quickly turn away
Feeling brave and wanting to know why I was creeped out
I set down the path the next morning
I could feel the pricklies run down my arms
Nervously looking to the sides
The trees and thicket forming dark shadows
The door to my imagination being thrown wide open
Is that a legless torso I see? Is it moving? Coming this way?!
I fight the urge to run
Back there in the woods! Rising from the ground! A silhouette!
Wide eyed my head shoots right to left afraid of something grabbing me
Something pulling me into the shadows, down the path, down to....!!
I gulp and remind myself it's my imagination run wild
Focus, I tell myself
As I break my wide-eyed stare on the perceived horrors I look around
And now sadly I see death and decay
Focus! I chastise myself before the sorrow overwhelms me
And then I see that which I had glazed over
while looking through fear and sorrowful eyes
I forgot to see
...the beauty of new growth
...the beauty of imperfections
...the beauty of those I matter to
~ ~ ~ ~
Can you see how dramatic my imagination can be?
Can you imagine being with me in the dark?
But I have to admit I see some similarities here
Sometimes walking my path is rather scary
Wanting to run to the end (or back to the beginning)
Not knowing what waits up ahead
Letting fear, sorrow, pity immobilize me
My tale reminds me that on my path I need to focus
Not race to the end, not take the birds-eye view
in the hopes of avoiding the monsters that lurk in the dark
but to see, really see, and appreciate
all that I am bound to encounter on my journey
that is what makes it all worthwhile
~ ~ ~
I did warn you you'd be subjected to trees
I forgot to warn you about the drama
tee-hee
and yet the creepy woods lie waiting....heehee
(oh and thanks for being patient while I figure out my camera)












If you look for fear and sorrow, you will surely find it. You found a way to discard your blinders and let the light in.
ReplyDeleteGreat post and photographs Elena, we cannot avoid life so we should embrace it.
ReplyDeleteI love the woods photos and probably would have gotten myself lost in the deep woods....I always had a tendency to ramble off and then forget which direction I came from. But found beautiful things!
ReplyDeleteI see wondrous areas to explore in those photos; nooks and crannies where the faeries lived, home of birdsong and chatter of small creatures.
I think the woods/nature is a necessary thing to restore our soul.
XXOO~~
Anne
Hi Elena..powerful post..and beautiful photos!
ReplyDeleteLove the gnarled trees! And the drama.
ReplyDeleteEnjoyed greatly...
ReplyDeleteHello. Wonderful story and pictures. Hugs Karen
ReplyDelete