"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Weekword: Friendship

A few weeks ago, we're sitting at the table and The Kid turns to me with a scrunched up nose...

Son: "Why don't you have friends?"
Me: "What do you mean?"
Son: "You never hang out or go out with anyone."
Me (amused): "What do I need friends for? I'll hang out with you."
Son (frustrated): "Forget it. You really need to get a life, Ma."
Me (highly amused): "I have friends. The artists. The bloggers."
Son: "Did you ever wonder why your only friends are out of state?"
Hmmm....he got me there.

~ ~ ~
My dear friend John invited me to take part in this week's word, Friendship
Considering the invitation came the morning after my birthday 
and I was still feeling the love from all the blog and Facebook greetings
I thought it was a perfect word
I can easily say I've never experienced friendships like those I've made online
Some, like my son, might find that rather pathetic
But considering I've always felt like an outsider, 
made to feel like something was wrong with me,
- well this connection to like-minded individuals just rocks
turns out I have alot in common with others
and through those friendships, I continue to grow in my quest

But John spoke of another friendship
that between our own spirit and mind/body
And it occurred to me that in learning to open myself to you
I have also begun to learn to open myself to me
It's hard work being friends with myself
But in learning to do so
I suspect all other things will begin to fall into place
Like self-love, self-respect...
because in becoming my best friend
I forge a solid connection between my physical and ethereal self
and in doing so have more to give to those around me
~
What a good way to begin the Artists Way


4 comments:

  1. Great post! The most fundamental aspect of friendship is that it makes you feel good about yourself. If it doesn't, then whatever the relationship is, it's not friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all know someone who fails to recognize their own self-worth, but we see it instantly. That is exactly what I saw when I discovered your blog. Just knowing your struggles are somehow similar to mine actually empowers me. You are a powerful force and I look forward to continuing to learn from you. Thank you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Elena, true connections transcend any mere physical handshake or hug, you have hit the nali on the head!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This *IS* an excellent post!!! I was pressed for time when I did mine and I wish I had written something this thoughtful!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!