It's always good coming back to my blog, like coming home.
I've seen books and posts speak of the "blog Do's and Dont's"
I say 'yeah whatever'...just one more place society is trying to instill their need to
add rules, laws, squelch someone's voice
And end up with a bunch of blogs that all look and sound alike.
Quiet rebellion; it should be written on my tombstone when I die...'xcept I'll be cremated.
But here, my virtual home, is where I connect to self and blab
And always surprised (in a smiley comforting way) when you comment ~ Thanks
I wanted to share something I discovered yesterday while on an artist date
Artist date is what Julie Cameron suggests in the Artist's Way
One day a week where you take time to spend alone
doing something that nurtures the inner artist
I went to the National Museum of Mexican Art for the Day of the Dead exhibit
My senses were overwhelmed with passion and color
I reconnected to a part of my culture that had been begging to be released
I spoke with the artist from Mexico making the sugar skulls
I only looked at the art pieces that called to me
I visited these pieces not with a longing of "if only I..."
It was more of a celebration for what the artist achieved
One whose memory is imprinted in my brain cells
A memory of grotto style walls, running water cascading down the stones
Rustic pews, candle lit interior, wet terracotta smells dancing with candle wax
But when I walked in what I found was something cold and sterile
It had been modernized, repaired, made new
And it lost its soul
I learned a valuable lesson at this artist's date
I learned that every object has a story it wants told
And that an artist is the means to giving that story a voice
In whatever medium it chooses
It's about getting out of the way and allowing it to come forth
It's about getting out of the way and allowing it to come forth
whether it be in written word, painting, drawing the stick figures
(gardening, cooking, carving, riding)
(gardening, cooking, carving, riding)
whatever it is, it is what makes the difference between passion and just existing
it's not only about talent or supplies or whatever
it's about quieting down just enough to listen
to pay attention to what something inspires in you
and giving it a voice
because in doing so you just may inspire another to wake up
to the world, the seen and unseen, around them
before it's too late
~ ~
If I sound nuts, yep sure am
Those words next to the cross say Tengo Sed which is I am Thirsty
I'll get cheesy here and say
yep, I'm thirsty for more on this Quest of mine
keep it coming


Loved this post!! Yes! Yes!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great Artist's Date. Sad about the chapel, tho.
Excellent thoughts!
Follow your bliss, baby!!
Let passion and compassion be your best friends. I bet your cookies are even works of art. Then again, I'm nuts too.
ReplyDeleteI love days of exploring things away from where I do my work. I believe Spirit takes us to where it can tell us a story. To recap a theme from your story today, "rules can sterilize". Thanks... another reason I am allergic to rules that don't make sense! Hugs!
ReplyDeleteAh Elena, a great post regarding your Quest. I find it most difficult stilling my mind as in conventional meditation, activity is much better for me. When we silence the self we find the all, who is one. In everyone and everything, parts of a jigsaw, each piece with its own story. Wonderful.....
ReplyDeleteGreat post. Hugs Karen
ReplyDelete