"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Saturday, September 3, 2011

What's Your Style?

While one of my biker buds lays in the hospital recovering from broken bones
(As a result of a parachute turning inside out before he landed safely on the ground)
He and I have been chatting online; continuing the verbal harassment 
we usually reserve for the long bike trips and gas station breaks

I told him if he didn't heal fast he'd have to ride in my sidecar
Changing my mind I said 'never mind you'll cramp my style'
His reply "YOU have a style?"
And for a moment I was quiet as I replied that maybe I should be hurt
which he countered with something about my not having feelings

But I wondered
Where did my style go?
Sure I would never grace the cover of the latest beauty magazine
I have no interest in frilly girly stuff or high heels or nails or purses
or anything society tries to shove down my throat as fashionable
but somewhere between leaving behind the catholic school uniform
and getting married the first time
there was my beloved combat boots and checkered skirts
and elbow high gloves and tunics with bright tights
funny thing is although I won't wear skirts or tights anymore
I still wish my Mama hadn't thrown my combat boots away in the cover of night
(loca Mama)

Instead I look at what I have and think to myself that if I'm not careful
I may become one of those walmart photo people who show up in emails
Sometime ago I whined in a vanity post and y'all suggested I get rid of the closet stuff
Well instead I closed the closet

But where did she go?
The one who had confidence, could bark out orders to a room full of contractors
Could wear something that would make me, or others, smile
(a woman would pass my office everyday to see what I was wearing that day
said she loved it and wished she had the courage)
I was me. I had courage.
Goofy. Creative. Confident. With a 'oh no? watch me!' attitude

And then I got married....
sounds like the start of a campfire horror story huh
hee hee
Well I know I'll find my style again and this time it'll stay
it may mean blue hair, scarves and lots of bracelets
but it'll be me
(thinking bohemian gypsy tree hugger-ahhh)
~
And the broken bag-o-bones biker?
He still won't be in my sidecar

4 comments:

  1. This is a very interesting post. I think we can all relate to the loss of a "style" at one time or another. But your spirit is your style not the unWalmart clothes or what others can't see about who you really are style.
    No room in the sidecar huh???? funny.
    Oma Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got class and pizazz. You are stylin', girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still volunteering to do the blue hair!!! :-D
    And yes, I am one who would wear a skirt on a motorcycle.....LOL! (put fear in them, ya know?)

    XXOO~~
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got attitude and strength and those trump style any day. Styles come and go, your inner strength stays. sometimes it just hides, waiting for when you really need it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!