"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Fragile Creativity

In the Artists Way tribe, we've been talking about those ruthless little censors
Who typically work their evil in silence
and try to convince us just how much we suck
Shedding light on them will help us see them for what they really are
I decided to name mine The Itch - ok sure it started out as a derogatory term
But soon I realized she's like a bad itch deep under a leg cast
Or under the arch of your booted foot while on the bike doing 80 on the highway
Annoying, teeth grinding....but once addressed provides the utmost relief
As in how sweet it is when I ignore The Itch's whining and win. I like winning.

But lately I've discovered a more sinister censor lurking in the shadows
Could The Itch have an evil twin? Or did I become so used to The Itch's voice
that I didn't hear the other?
Like a teeny little seedling rising from the ground after a forest fire
My creative mind has started whispering little ideas
So faint that I had to keep shushing The Itch because I wasn't quite sure if I'd heard something
And as I tried to coax her to speak louder, another voice piped up 
and spoke about dust bunnies, and weeds the size of cows, and leaning tower paper piles
She reminded me where the vacuum cleaner was and as I ignored her
And walked towards the studio, she planted images in my head of hubby working hard
The guilt intensified and The Itch and The Intruder high-fived

I finally made it to the studio yesterday morning
Armed with knowledge that it was a Saturday and hubby wasn't working
I figured the creative little seedling would flourish
Instead, being under the bright lights of attention, it withered and died
Or got sucked back into the ground of grey brain matter
The Itch and The Intruder rolled in laughter
As I sat there motionless like a puppet without a puppeteer
Nothing...I tried....nothing....wanted to scream....nothing
Frustrated I instead stared out at the beautiful storm
and did nothing (nada, zilch,)
the dust bunnies rolled like tumbleweeds in the vast expanse of a thoughtless brain

I'm not too worried, yet
In doing the Artists Way I'm launching a secret attack
that will annihilate The Intruder and stomp The Itch into submission
because I don't necessarily want to get rid of The Itch
I think under good supervision, never turning my back on her, she can be an asset
Like a good support stick for the fragile seedlings of creativity

~ ~ ~
One of my tribes(wo)men shared this article today
It speaks of the things we do to ignore our creative callings
like tv, drama (like the above), fear/anger, social networking, lack of sleep
I think I was guilty of all
but added one more 'Extreme Guilt', which is The Intruders specialty

or perhaps The Itch is more cunning than I thought
and has developed multiple personalities - gulp

~
LOL you do realize drama like the above
would have got me committed not too many years ago

6 comments:

  1. I vote for multiple personalities. The inner critic is cunning indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true, so funny, so true, so sad. Maybe it was drinking NM water that did it....cuz they live here too. Glad you can balance the voices. My house is testimony to my ability to tune the voices out. But then I've had more practice than you.....by years and years. tee hee Oma Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. as you get more creative the censor gets smarter to so must keep up with the pages and affirmations...they keep the voice of uncontrolled trouble at bay...address it for what it is and say good things and move on through...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ear plugs don't work with these kind of critics. Keep doing your best to block them and hopefully it will get easier, I'll do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I hate house cleaning, so that's a perk! And I've learned that the imaginary roll of duct tape to shut up the censor is GOOD....
    When I started to paint the other day I had a heck of a time switching back to painting mode. I was using colors that are not my palette (specific reason) and finally had to leave it and walk away.
    After some time doing something hum drum, I had mentally figured out what I wanted and took off to the cellar and painted for about ten minutes like a mad woman.
    It's making that first mark, good, bad or indifferent.
    And if the WORST THING THAT HAPPENS IN YOUR LIFE, is one piece or two or three of bad art.....really, that's a pretty good life.
    The empty life is the life without the bad art, or good, or mediocre.
    Just wanting, and empty.
    Elena, your train is waiting at the station.... :-)

    XXOO~~
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cow weeds are nothing. I have a whole zoo, including elephants and giraffes. Great post and link.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!