Fellow-blogger, Stevie, inspired this post with things she has posted on her blog and the AW. She's young and questioning everything and although she may feel a bit lost, I think it's an exciting place to be. I envy that she is feeling this now while she is young because it will inspire her to go in various directions. I've waited 41 years to finally reach the level she's at; one of curiosity. The key though is NOT to let self-doubt or perfectionism kill the curiosity.
I'm a perfectionist - you couldn't tell by the mess in my work areas. But I try to control the outcome of everything so I preplan in my head what the result should be. In my little mind everything I work on has to be worth the effort, 100+% perfect, and will have glorious results. I'll daydream and view what this will look like. Of course this thought process is strictly run by my ego so of course it's only a matter of time before I envision all the doom and gloom. The results are that I never start most of the things I think of. Why should I if it's already doomed? Or so I thought...and missed 41 years of opportunities (ok discount my baby years).
If I hadn't let this mode of thinking control my life I more than likely would have pursued my secret life plan: I was going to join the Marines, be a Chicago cop, and work my way up to FBI. Funny. But I convinced myself I had to take care of my mom and I didn't have the guts required. I have a little problem detaching from feelings and would probably have become a vigilante against all bad guys. HA!
Enter the 2nd plan of being involved with the arts. I wanted to provide art therapy to abused children.....and put away the bad guys. Self-doubt killed that one too.
There are no rules. We're here to try our hand at everything. It truly doesn't have to be perfect. We don't need anyone's approval but our own. If it fails (or fails to meet OUR expectations) so what? Did the world end? Sometimes you have to let the reins loose a bit so you don't get all tangled up and motionless. Some of the best rides I've had are those where we just go with no destination in mind. Great discoveries along the way.
So, Stevies (Elenas) of the world, just let go. Don't worry about the outcome. Have fun with what you are called to create-in art or life. You don't HAVE to be the best to make use of your talents. Just acknowledging a talent is far more important. Have fun with it....or hate it, it really doesn't matter. The key to remember is how YOU feel about it. Don't create or live for others. It's all about you. Listen to your body...mine tells me I'm tired when I'm bored with something.
And Stevie, try the screen printing. You never know, it may be the spark of inspiration you need. And if not, there's always something else.
~~~~~~~~~~
“Sometimes you just have to take the leap, and build your wings on the way down.”
~ Kobi Yamada
Its possible the screen printing is scary because I've only had time to think about it. And when I think about it I only see the end product, but what I end up doing is a long long process to get there.
ReplyDeletenothing to it but to do it!